Thursday, 30 January 2014

The Hormone Diet's "Right Foods" (tomorrow, when and how the body works best)


From The Hormone Diet, as promised earlier...with a little note--I have edited out things that I've covered many times; so this list represents what I am keeping for my own use...I have another little-discussed opinion.  I'm not vegetarian, I don't think that's how to save the planet because there's often a greater ecological footprint with massive cropping than, say, enjoying a nice steak.  

Raising animals is one of the ways I see land (I'm talking square metres here...) put to very efficient use.  It takes more land to grow crops in many cases, and the soil ends up depleted, prompting the use of fertilizer and in mass productions, usually a huge machine to deliver it all (emissions, etc...).  This is stuff I think about, and work into my own actions, so I just thought a quick share on that might be appropriate at this time...since the book brings up sourcing.  I cannot see myself slinging a gun, and getting my own winter's worth of game...but I don't think it's horrid that others can.  I am an omnivore--albeit a queasy one.  I eat meat, but prefer that someone else, with a stronger stomach, get it to the kitchen--pardon the "goingwithyourgut" pun please...Having noted this, I've no wish to offend anyone who chooses to go vegetarian; we are each free to eat as we wish--unless we plan to do everything this list suggests--in which case, we must comply!

Dr. Turner recommends that we use our own judgement, so please do... and she also has this to say:
  • Buy fresh, locally grown produce and go for organic or wild sources of food whenever you can-especially meats, eggs, fish and dairy.  She specifically notes organic is better for these more typically heavily sprayed varieties of produce: strawberries, apples, soybeans (and all soy products), apricots, bananas, red and green peppers, tomatoes, lemons, limes, kiwis, peaches, grapes, berries, spinach, lettuce, carrots, green beans, and broccoli.  
  • Consume olive oils, nuts, beans, whey protein and an apple daily along with these, as she calls them "hot hormone foods" Click to see her list and discussions of the benefits of each.
  • Forget about counting calories, unless you really, really care...then she says average woman would set meals at 500 calories, and snacks at 150-200, while men would set meals at  500-600, and snacks around 200-300 calories.
  • Drink lots water...if that's dull she suggests adding lemon or cucumber--(I'll add-wash them well, and peel the cucumber a little) and if you like to keep it in the fridge, then choose glass over plastic.
  • She likes soups and salads to start a meal, as they're typically nutritious and filling, and send the right hormonal signals to the brain that "yes, that's food coming on board...". 
  • Chew your food really well--it gives the body time to signal the brain (via hormones) that you are eating, and prevents overeating, which can stress the body as well (pp. 243-244) It helps the body to digest more easily as well...and if you're a 'wolfer', try chopsticks she says!
  • And one from a source I can't recall at this moment- a half hour before meals is a good time to drink lemon water, potentially increasing the acidity of the stomach, further aiding in digestion.
Cheers and chao- 

No comments:

Post a Comment