The part that hit home for me, from this professor of medicine at Georgetown...
"Leaky gut is one of those diagnoses that bridges the gap between conventional and alternative medicine, between what we can see and touch and what we can feel in our bodies. I refuse to believe that the hundreds of patients I see in my office with unusual and seemingly unrelated complaints are crazy, or just stressed out.
I believe them when they say they feel like they're being poisoned, or that they think there's a connection between all their symptoms, even though they don't know what it is. My hunch is that as our knowledge grows, the theories behind leaky gut will become the foundation for lots of diseases that are widely prevalent in our society, and millions of people will be in a better position to find relief from their suffering."
This is what I've been concluding as I have been researching, and it's coming together for me. I plan to focus on sealing up the digestive tract! The Hormone Diet will be more successful, and the low-histamine foods will provide symptomatic relief for me, as that seems to be more of a consequence of overloading my system (something that's bugged me for years is the on/off, strong/weak reactions to the same things at different times). As for as the Blood Type theory, well, I like that one because it recommends coffee! More than that however, it seems to be a sensible approach for someone like me with a bit of a testy, finicky, system...and, it agrees with the Chris Kresser piece from yesterday, which also acknowledges the lectins in certain foods are problematic in a leaky gut (loveliest description of an ailment) situation.
So, that is my plan...I'll be concentrating on eating highly nutritious foods, balancing the gut-fix benefits of foods with their histamine load, keeping the long term in mind. For now, I'll be sticking with the short term, highly restrictive, in an effort to not offend my system further, adding in the beneficial bacterias, and looking for the amino acid that the doctors recommend as being able to help to seal up the permeable gut. Once I'm feeling better, what the heck, I'll just say once I'm feeling good, I'll add back in the beneficial foods, and hope that the troubles spots have shrunken down to a size that prevents the larger molecules from entering my system, and they stay where they belong... At the same time, I'll be looking into whether or not I am indeed DAO deficient, which, if I am, is something I can deal with with my doctor. If indeed I am, then I should be able to supplement and help prevent the histamine reactions at the same time.
I feel more sorted, and enjoy having at least the start of a plan...moving on!
Cheers and chao...
No comments:
Post a Comment