Friday, 7 January 2011

I've been researching....

Today was much like yesterday, but with a worse headache.  I was rather lumpy all day, sort of alternating between little bursts of tasks and childcare.  Another difference was that I was tired of the smo--OK-there's a scissor tail on my desk--that's a bug.  It has two curving tail parts that hurt when they pinch into the skin....very sharp, but less likely to do so now that it's a pile of goo.  Not very Buddist of me, but the few times one got me were enough.  It's like a wasp, but less sting-I think.
Back to the smoothie--actually, back to the bug!  It started up again, so I've flushed it.  The smoothie--after two days, I'd really have preferred to crunch into something solid.  Tomorrow, another one, because I think it would be good.  I expected to be pain free, in the GI department anyway, but I'm still having some...one more day might get me there.  Or, my body is crying out for more than a coffee.
I investigated the that elimination food plan again, revisited the celiac-leaky-gut connection, and I conclude that I'll have to be more vigilant about the gluten free aspect in order to stay healthy once I'm through the diet.  In an optomist fashion though, at least I already know that I won't be "trying" the wheat, barley, rye --they're already known.  I hope to be able to pinpoint the other things that have been bothering me, and giving my digestive system a chance to heal and reseal itself.
I listened to a webinar on the connection between digestion and other sensitivities and conditions.  Surprise...I think that my mom might benefit from being gluten free too... and so would my dad--because they both seem to have a lot of the same things happening between the two of them; like allergy, autoimmune, osteoporosis, anemia, etc... I wouldn't be shocked if one or both could feel great without wheat, etc...but I would be happily shocked if they were to give it a try.  
How important it is to properly digest food so that the big undigested portions aren't escaping into the blood and causing allergic response.  It went on to remind that the proteins in the allergic response create inflammation in the body, which is basically the big thing to avoid or prevent cardiac disease and cancers, as well as further autoimmune.  Tom, the wholelifenutition nutritionist, pointed out the correlation between celiac disease and systemic inflammation for people who were experiencing these degenerative type diseases.
Not so cheery, but further motivation that I need to heal up.  Everything that I eat could be considered "healthy" except in a person who has celiac disease...in which case any gluten ruins the body's ability to breakdown and properly process food.  I'll have to consider a digestive enzyme while I'm healing up I think; because I feel like I'm more than a few footsteps down the path of not being able to digest my food; given that I'm continuing to develop  new sensitivities.  Next step--look up digestive enzyme in spanish so I have a hope of finding it here!  Happily, I have a friend here who's a nutritionist-maybe she knows the word!
That's another day done, smooth? Not really.  But informative, and a headache I'm happy to be on the other side of!

No comments:

Post a Comment