I did this whole elimination diet to find out what I'm allergic to, to give my gut time to heal, and to rid myself of pains and headaches. All that worked; but this bonus feature of never really feeling hungry, and losing weight has been really exciting. I'm currently 14 pounds down from November, and 9 from January. And the weird thing is that wasn't even my motivator--but man am I enjoying it. I can see the results in the mirror now, instead of wondering where the pounds aren't...I can see where I'm changing. So very good.
The energy that comes from feeling better is grand, the reflection of my healing skin is encouraging, and the clarity and continuity of my thoughts is increasing by the day. I can keep my thoughts together, and without headaches, or the echo of a headache, I can focus and concentrate waaaay better.
Some people reflect at night, or in the morning...I think I do both--or is that called being preoccupied? I was thinking about the last year we've had, and if it were in pictures, the scenes would go by with sorting out our house in Vancouver, having a cold and snowy Christmas in SK, moving, being woken by one of the largest earthquakes in history, emotional aftermath after realizing we were fine, but other places were destroyed, sending supplies down south with our neighbour, and going through "big" stuff with the kids about what people had, lost, and needed, then eventually venturing out once the massive numbers of "reflections" aka more earthquakes...which took me to March. One third of a year.
Once we felt safe enough to venture out of the the city, we saw the south Pacific, penguins, a poor city next to a rich city-talked with the kids about happy not necessarily connecting with wealth-because they were sad for the people who had so little. We continued with schooling in their third school in two years...yet every time I question the wisdom of our choices, I see what they've learned while still feeling sad for what they've left behind-namely, friends. But they are still friends, and they keep in touch but it's not anywhere near the same as having loads of time together. Then I make holiday plans to get more of that time for them. And now they have friends here...so I hope they can keep in touch when we're through here too. Anyway, that's the heavy-hearted aspect of the adventure--to go somewhere new, means leaving somewhere familiar.
We had 5 weeks back in Canada, massive roadtrips, and came back here for the start of a new grade. Got into the groove, welcomed another Canadian family who have become great friends. Then we were rocked with Avonda's sudden death, went back for her funeral, and we've been missing her ever since.
We came back, knowing we were in shock, yet not realizing how much so until it started to wear off. School suffered, stress increased, and our heavy hearts-well, they're still plenty heavy when we think of her. We bucked up for Christmas, and welcomed Jeff's family. They traveled and enjoyed themselves, which was a great thing for us to share with them. Then school let out for its Dec/Jan summer break and all the school stress was gone--no more schedules.
My parents and their friends arrived in January, we've been having fun all month long, and now, Mom and Dad are ready to head back tomorrow. I'm dreading that for myself, and for the kids, because they miss them terribly when they go. I'm not going back for my Grandpa's funeral; because the kids need me more here. BUT-we'll visit again, and then Mom and Dad will come back.
The thing about moving is that we have had great times together in Yellowknife, Vancouver, and here. Although we don't get frequent times together, they get great stretches when they see each other. The kids have had a fantastic time with them, really, really fantastic. [I use the phrase now, because it's been a while]
The thing about moving is that we have had great times together in Yellowknife, Vancouver, and here. Although we don't get frequent times together, they get great stretches when they see each other. The kids have had a fantastic time with them, really, really fantastic. [I use the phrase now, because it's been a while]
Now I'm looking ahead at school restarting, and how to help my oldest realize that all learning is good learning, even if it doesn't get stamped with an A plus! He's realizing as he matures that he's really capable; and that his results depend largely on his efforts --which I consider a life lesson of immense importance! I think that escapes a large number of people, and he's contemplating before his teens, so I'm really happy for him. He's becoming more capable by the day that 'deep waters' boy!
And after all this reflecting, which happens from time to time...I have the practicalities of the day/week/month to manage. Taxes, filing, etc...but I'll be happy to be on the other side of these jobs, so I'd better get cracking. The fill-in housekeeper comes today, so that's a laundry list (yep-I meant that pun) of things I don't need to tackle today.
There is much to look forward to, as this school year restarts. I couldn't have predicted this last year's events; but once I have some bottled water stored up again, I'll feel a little more prepared...
There is much to look forward to, as this school year restarts. I couldn't have predicted this last year's events; but once I have some bottled water stored up again, I'll feel a little more prepared...
Chao!
No comments:
Post a Comment