Arepas are a staple here in the Paisa region, the favourite is a choclo, so the other day, I bought some of the pre-cooked sweet corn flour to see how I might use it to help the biggest kid go without gluten without forgoing nice foods.
Are-Pancakes (ah/rey/pan/cay-cays) is the name I smashed together--and yes, it's super Spanglishy.
Mix together, and make a well in the centre:
1 cup pre-cooked sweet corn flour
1 cup potato starch (not flour)
1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
pinch salt
3/4 teaspoon of cinnamon (because I didn't want them to taste too corny)
1 teaspoon of xanthan gum (critical ingredient, the batter didn't work without it!)
Mix together and add to the dry ingredients. Let sit for 10 mins to allow the xanthan gum to start working.
2 eggs
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons melted butter
Bake as normal, on a hot griddle, stirring the batter before portioning out each pancake. A 10cm diameter pancakes seemed to work best-yielding a golden, fully cooked, crisp edged pancake. These will satisfy a cornbread 'hankering', and they met everyone's pancake needs as well.
These were served up with maple syrup and butter, cheesy scrambled eggs, and over-started, pan finished bacon, and ice cold fruity punch. And now, we are filled.
*these didn't work very well for me, but they were delicious! Whether it was the corn, potato, juice, or bacon, I'm not sure-but honestly, I knew going in there would be a price for indulging. I've paid.
Cheers and chao!
No comments:
Post a Comment