Monday, 21 February 2011

Another keeper!

I'm going to keep these methods in mind, and this is a really quick before I forget share:
If you're going with the manual knife, it should still be fast...
Sauteed shallots and garlic in olive oil, added cut carrots, cut broccoli, and let those heat for a while-just for flavour, until they look a little shiny, and slightly soft.  (The pan roasting mellows and enriches the flavours-and I think it fuses faster...). 
Then I carefully added some (please be precise!?) lentils, and brown rice, with a little more water than they would need to cook on their own. 
If tomatoes were an option-this is where I'd add them-adjusting for however much liquid they'd add as they cooked, with the idea being that you were going for a hearty stew kind of texture. 
Season with salt, pepper, and however many bouillon cubes, packs, or scoops of homemade stock you like.  Alternatively, if you have a beef stock, use that instead of water, and then reduce the amount of the bouillon in the pot.  Aaaaand-cook.  You're done:)
It's vegan if you're into it, provides protein, veggies, heart-healthy olive oil, fibre, and nice slow-releasing carbs from the brown rice.  I envision it sustaining a person from lunch 'till 4, or from dinner to breakfast, happily!
Now, I've just returned from a parent meeting for an outdoor school trip, which wasn't super lively...so I'm ready to call the day done; but I really didn't want to forget to share this recipe for anyone who's looking for a one-dish wonder!  Chao!







No comments:

Post a Comment