Sunday, 9 January 2011

Who let the boogie robots out??? [Boogie. Boogie]

These are often the kinds of statements that I hear first thing, as the middle man starts entertaining.  This was said with the aviators on...so he did look rather ready for the disco.  He certainly starts with energy!

Energy...that reminds me that I'd like a coffee...just so I can lift my arms.  OK-a little bit of an exaggeration, because I've already been out into the garden and rearranged/staked a few trees to try fill in the gap that the removal of the crazy overtaking vines left in the side yard, outside our bedroom window.  I thought it would be better with the vines gone-now I have a great view of the neighbours' solar pool heating system on their rooftop.  Not that it isn't lovely in its own industrial way...

So these trees are now quite top heavy, (think clown wig on a rope), and they're a little better arranged with bamboo stakes, and tying, etc....so I have already done that.  I'll try get at the rest of that list, as it's nearly time to make meal plans for our guests!  I wonder if they thought they'd get such exotic fare as brown rice and vegetables?  Oh, there...menu's ready!  This elimination has me in the role of temporary vegetarian for a few weeks, all in the name of giving the tract time to heal.

I think that a few weeks of easy going on the meat will be worth it...in the healing aspect, and in the determining what's ok for me and what I'll stay away from.  I'm sure that the red meats will continue to be rare--not on the grill, but in frequency.  I'm guessing that chicken and salmon, and other fish will continue to be ok; and I have a feeling I'll take in greater proportions of quinoa and lentils.

Again, a little excitement over the Thermomix--yesterday's lunch was a three part creation and experiment.  I boiled some lentils and quinoa together, with olive oil, to keep everything a little more separated and entire.  Then I used the thermomix to chop carrots, and had I been thinking, I'd have done the garlic first...but that got a quick dice on the board.  I set it on 100, at the speed of stirring in reverse, so no cutting [insert more boogie robot dancing here--!].  I added some chopped celery, and let it saute for about five minutes.

Since salt was the only seasoning I was sure about, I added that to both.  I decided at that point it might be wise to provide options to the kids, so I made the Thermomix into the soup pot, and the stove top one into pilaf.  After two days of smoothie, I was really ready for a different flavour, so then I stirred in some green curry paste I found.  According to its label, it's gluten free--and now I realize that I shouldn't have, because although it had no gluten--it was pureed pepper, which I thought was ok for phase one-- it's not.  It was less than a teaspoon though, so I'm moving on!  As I review the list, I could have added ginger, but I had them reversed-I was thinking no ginger yet.  An accidental cheat I was!

How did it go with the kids?  The soup got a resounding "it's ok..." and the pilaf was untouched.  There was also a hilarious statement that it was good except for those little "horseshoe" things...I was thinking celery--she was thinking quinoa--so I had a little laugh that a tiny little quinoa curl could be so distasteful.  I liked the soup...and they all ate pretty full servings anyway.  I usually serve a larger portion of a new thing to make sure they get enough, and if they leave a little, they've still had an adequate serving--sort of an optional ending!  The more options within the healthy range the better mealtimes we have. 

And now, I reminisce, recalling the daycare days..."how much/many of [healthy food] would you like?" always created a more enthusiasm for whatever the options were.  And, it set the boundary, while providing the much needed ability for the kiddo to choose what they would take into their bodies.  Although the kids are older, it still seems to work--along with "what's next" if they stall rather than a yes/no scenario of "eat!".  And, it gives them a chance to discuss food in a positive way; when they were really little, it even helped them identify and name their foods.  I include this, because my guys are still young enough to get 'that' look-- and if you have kids, you know it, if you don't, then you can likely recall making it yourself as a child!  The 'look' goes along with the "what's in it?"

It's time for reading to the kids, and doing their "camp" stuff.  I'll enjoy the simmering in my head (that I think it still a wish for coffeeeeee) but not an actual headache.  I've been reading a lot about the autoimmune, hormone, and degenerative issues that gluten can create; so when I'm done reading The Magic Treehouse, I'll move onto the Gut Solutions book I got on vacation last summer.  No shortage of things to ponder...

Chao!

No comments:

Post a Comment