Saturday, 15 January 2011

Still...I might like a coffee

But at least my head's not burning for one anymore.  Think of the savings I can generate...yeah, that doesn't do much for me either.

This morning, I've already gone over the bills, but I need to wait for the kids to wake up to get at the Mac, so I can put in Jeff's expenses.  That's what I do, I put in his expenses, tape down all his travel receipts, scan them, put them into a spreadsheet so the lady at his office can understand what's what, then I put them out for him to sign, and he takes them in and when enough time has passed, we get reimbursed.  I honestly can't believe sometimes, how 1957 the division of life's labours is in my house...really.  Except that, I'm the one who does all the banking, bills, tracking, etc...which I guess would have been husband's realm--but still!  I never really envisioned that I'd be home with "the kids" and not working.  In no younger version of myself did I see me, home with the kids, and no job.

But it's funny really, because I always wanted kids--top priority following an education really--I just didn't have it looking like it does today.  I pictured kids in school, me at a part time something, and running them from here to their for whatever they were into.  I had no preconceived notion that we'd end up this nomadic, expatriated family, following along project-to-project; nor did I envision the need to aquire another language, or that the kids would be in a private "American" style school, in uniforms no less! (Love the uniforms actually- creates a same-ness at school that's nice.  Even though they're all in their different versions, it's still the same.  And, it's way easier on their "off-school" clothes, of which we need far fewer).

So life, as it is today, has turned in many unexpected directions for us.  I am appreciative of that.  There's no right way to do life; because no matter which "coin" we choose, there's always the flipside...  There's lots to be seen and enjoyed; and we do our best with the challenges of all that--but hey, being a family has challenges no matter where we are.  Our moves have made some things more challenging; but they've also simplified a number of things for us...

So here I am, doing "the books" - not actual books, just keeping everything updated in the money department...thinking about coffee...listening to the birds, and waiting for the kids to get up at rolling.  Today looks to be an easy day, in which I can mess around with the photos I took of the city.  I still have to get a memory stick together to get them printed (a whole new thing to figure out...).  Printing photos here is quite different from Canada, because there are no online shops.  I hesitate to use shutterfly, but I think the computer to doorstep idea is looking better and better, even at a distance.  Otherwise it's a drive to the "far" mall, a drop, a wait (without a coffee...sigh), and then a pick up, or a trip back--all to get the true colour Kodak paper.  Time and patience will tell.  I do sorely miss Costco--perhaps for pictures most of all.  Or meat.  Or Christmas wrap.  Or fruit--just kidding, I don't miss their fruit at all--I'm at the source!

Body-wise, still four pounds less from Christmas-but I say the fewer I'm hauling, the more energy I'll have for other things:)  I'm still marvelling at how I'm feeling even-keeled with these foods--no more intense hunger, I haven't been shaky with hunger once (keeping in mind that I'm not pushing a schedule at all during these summer holidays), a few seeds and a piece of fruit seem to last a long time and do the trick.  I am truly enjoying this baseline, and my body feels a great deal more "right".  As I wrote yesterday, the new baseline of comfort means I can better differentiate my signals; and those signals are more like suggestions for the near future, rather than intense demands for immediate action.

A little yoga, and I'll be sooo mellow and balanced.  Or a swim, depends on the day's progression.  Next task...breakfast.  Pancakes?  Waffles?  Rice pudding with coconut milk?  I think I'll make another one of those little quinoa concoctions...There's still half a can of coconut milk in the fridge, and lots of berries.

No comments:

Post a Comment