Which is why she couldn't wear her dress. How hot is it here? Hot enough to gross a girl out if her clothing dares to touch her skin. She's elected to wear her soccer shirt with her skirt. Apparently that's the right thing for managing this heat.
It's actually not that hot today...she's remembering the last two weeks. It was scorching. Right now, just past lunch, there's already a refreshing breeze, which in itself, is unusual. I'm upstairs, not roasting, and enjoying it greatly.
Food today was not very exciting, smoothie for breakfast, a few lentils after that, and smoothie again. I feel gross after the corn challenge days, so I'm going to do another day of not much more than smoothie to let everything get back to neutral-then I think I'll try eggs. Scrambled eggs, boiled eggs in salad-so I'm looking forward to that! It's been a few weeks. Now, if there's a salad with some egg in it, I'm way less bored with that mound of lettuce.
As I wrote yesterday, if the turkey was good, I'd say so. SO. They all really liked it. Dad said "Yeah, that's good, REALLY good," and that was high praise I think, because he's a fan of the dark, not light, turkey. But, then again, it's hard to argue with bacon and BBQ.
As Jeff was BBQing, he called me back, because they were wrapped in foil to hold them together, and cooked, but the bacon looked, well, yuck. Unappetizing and nearly raw in appearance--it needed help, so we unwrapped them, and I ground some pepper into olive oil, and we basted each one and put directly on the grill. Less than five minutes, and then they looked grand. Because the bacon was wrapped around, then cooked, it locked it all together. They wouldn't have worked well going right on the grill, because they would have just fallen apart.
The next thing I'd try, would be a wild rice and mushroom stuffing, with loads of the chopped fresh herbs. Chicken or turkey, equally good, just different I think. I'd consider pounding the meat a little, to get it thin and ready to roll. I'd still wrap with bacon, in foil at first, and then onto the BBQ to brown, like I described in our above adjustment to the cooking plan. That seems like a great backyard feast.
For the oven, I'd start the same, but put them onto foil, with the "seam" side of the bacon down (wrapped so that the more open side of the poultry roll was up so you could see the stuffing). Cover with foil, then uncover for the last few, and I think it would still need that olive oil and pepper basting. This would be the winter version, and the house would smell like Thanksgiving! It's a great smell to walk into...
Well that's kind of funny-for a woman who's not hungry in the least, I sure have food on the brain~
Well that's kind of funny-for a woman who's not hungry in the least, I sure have food on the brain~
The pool calls, and we'll go up and meet the guys after their round. All this will be especially appreciated, because Mom, and the kids, and I have all tamed our messes this morning:the laundry is under way (can't really ever say it's done...), the kitchen is managed, the dusting is in the past as well, summer journals are done, Mom's done her yoga on the Wii, she and Dane are bowling, and Keaton and Ella will have had their play at the neighbours... Swim suits packed after lunch, and we're off!
Chao!
No comments:
Post a Comment