Tuesday, 14 August 2012

Who knew?! (Cauliflower post)

I've been focused on kids and possibly moving for the last few posts, dealing with items in the forefront!!!  As I thought about how early I'd get up this morning, I wondered what I'd make today, with both Keaton and Ella here, and all of us under the weather--so naturally--I concluded sickness necessitated soup.

I tried the "Make A-Head Cauliflower" soup recipe I'd made and used so many times...yet-the flavour was blah.  Thought back through the process, what I'd done before that made me like it...etc.

So, I added salt, pepper--better, but not "there" as far as flavour.

What else could it be?  Well, I'd only used a little bit of olive oil-maybe?  I had already added fresh parsley, but didn't think that could be powerful enough to submarine the whole potful of soup!

Added olive oil, and to my surprise-that was the difference.  It wasn't just a better flavour-it was a "more" kind of flavour as well, and the texture was nicer too.  Keaton remains unconvinced, but Ella was on board.

Also, because there's a sickness in the house, I made a fruit plate too--which isn't that unusual, but I'm adding it because I'd come up with a way to keep apple slices looking fresh when I did daycare at home in Yellowknife.  Section an orange into eight pieces, cut side up, in a circle, and cut and core an apple, put them in the circle peel side up, in contact with the oranges; the orange juice keeps the apples from turning brown, and it looks kind of like a flower.  In Spanish, we called it flore de frutas, because sometimes it's fun to be superfance like that!

Cheers and chao

No comments:

Post a Comment