Food-wise, yesterday was a salad day, with the usual blueberries for breakfast (and some quinoa/coconut). Continuing surprise that I'm so easily satisfied...little bits, and I'm good to go. I'm still losing weight, so that's always a happy moment in the morning when I see the numbers dropping; because I take it to mean that's a sustainable thing, keep eating well, exercising, and drinking lots of water. I would say that in the past I ate well too, but the foods were different; and I think ultimately, I've been eating too much of the wrong foods. I think now, that if a person is fed well-there shouldn't be any hunger to try to control. Eating small portions of really healthy foods has been great for me.
We drove north to Zapallar yesterday, found the seafood restaurant in the bay, had a great lunch, and then hit the beach. I was worried that with all the driving that I'd be getting hungry, so I took along some pumpkin seeds, and that did the trick. The salad was good at lunch, avocado, heart of palm, and lettuce, along with water, and that was that-and I was happy about that. I'm still paying careful attention to the signals, and stopping when I'm no longer hungry-and it truly does take a lot less to satisfy.
And although yesterday was saddening; I think we all put effort into appreciating that we were together. The guide we had on the tour was great, and a nice distraction for everyone. With Grandpa passing away, there are so many emotions vying for attention...the sadness that he's gone, the relief that he's no longer wondering what's happening everyday in his confusion for me; and then thinking how sad my parents are is tough too...looking ahead....also tough; and then it comes back to appreciating the times we have together, and the little "everyday"s that my Grandpa always enjoyed.
For today's menu, with our guests here, I've made borscht for lunch, we had fruit, toast, and yogurt for breakfast (just fruit for me...). I used the Thermomix again, and if it weren't for making the soup veggie, and meaty, I'd have been done in a flash. As it was, it was only a few minutes to two pots of delicious soup.
Chopped carrots, beets, three cubes of veggie beef stock (no gluten, no dairy, McCormick's -brought by request from Canada). I added water to the top, and the common part was done. Then I fried up beef with shallots and garlic until everything was nice and brown; and to get all the flavour from the browned bits, I added some of the already heating soup from the Thermomix (I need a new name for that because I type it wrong every time!). Then, the rest of the veggie soup was into a different pot, and the meaty version went back into the Thermomix to finish simmering, Very little mess, very little effort, very delicious soup.
Ooops...almost forgot (just like when I made it!!) the seasoning was salt, pepper, and lots of dill weed. I'll serve it with sour cream, and toast for everyone else (Mom has made some bread which is much loved by all).
Dinner is the chicken recipe from my SIL, cilantro-lime marinade, BBQ'd, and with a spicy avocado salsa. Potatoes, also BBQ'd, a salad, and that's done! This supports the notion of going shopping with the kids, Mom and Cheryl--buuuut, nothing's decided yet. Shopping sometimes wears on me... Perhaps we'll go to Los Dominicos instead. It's an interesting, outdoor artesanal marketplace here that I think they'll really like. Yes, that's a better plan. First, lunch.
So, I'm still heavy hearted, but more clear headed, which means I shall continue with this eating style...If you've decided to give it a try-let me know how it's going for you. Collective intelligence 'n all that!
No comments:
Post a Comment