Today we're heading to the beach, but with heavy hearts because my 96 year old grandpa passed away. I keep thinking of everything he did in his life, and I wonder if our lives will see that much change. He immigrated to Canada, so he sailed across the Atlantic, and never went back. He was born during WWI, lived through the depression, was in the RCAF, trained personnel for WWII, in the meantime, homesteaded a farm, farmed for ages, worked at the forestry farm, raised a family, got telephone service, bought the first tvs made, took his kids to school with a horse-drawn sleigh for years, played baseball, got together with friends and neighbours through the summer, and watched hockey in the winters.
He and my Grandma took care of each other and their family together for 66 years. They enjoyed their retirement from the farm together, and he visited her every day she was in the home-after her Parkinson's meant she couldn't be in her own home any longer...everyday...And when his Alzheimers meant he needed 24 hour care at the home too, my parents, and my aunt, and my uncles, visited everyday they weren't traveling. He had family with him everyday, and his life was full.
So I'm more big picture today than details...and I'm going to go with my family, to the beach, and play in the water--and make sure that we're appreciating the days we have together.
No comments:
Post a Comment