Sunday, 18 May 2014

Expat moment: world's deadliest spider paid us a visit in the night

For those who aren't on Facebook...t'was the night before my birthday...

That's about as cute as it gets- I woke to the echo of a very loud smack.  Being tired, like I get in the middle of the night, I groggily asked him what he was doing... "There was something on my leg but I think I got got it".

He thought?!! he got it?

This is the kind of thing that can wake me all the way up.  Without disturbing the covers, I turned on my bedside lamp and this is the guy we discovered- 7 of 8 legs still on.  With a shiver, and a thorough check of the bed covers, I got ready to go back to sleep (I didn't have the crawling sensation on me!). He went for the sofa, knowing he would only toss and turn...  But I was still creeped, so I asked if he would come back and please put a glass over it-because it suddenly occurred to me that the thing might just be stunned. I slept well, knowing he wouldn't snap back into action and come back for me, from under a glass!





The next morning, we started researching--then he said he thought he found it-so he'd obviously used the adrenaline rush from the night to search out pictures of spiders in Colombia.  When he found it matched really well to the Brazilian Wandering Spider, I realized I shouldn't have gone back to sleep!  The research pointed to this thing as one of the world's deadliest spiders, with the most toxic venom of any spider...creeeeeeepy!

The photos are taken with my "good" camera...and I wanted to see it in detail, to see how close a match it was to our research, and it's (as best I can tell) one of the species of wandering spiders...Did I already say creepy?  The retroactive fear still gives me shivers.  We've turned the house inside out, shone a flashlight in every corner, and I've decided I prefer the Chilean Recluse as the deadly spider of choice, because all you have to do to avoid those nasties is be wary when you're dusting corners, or moving things that create hiding places.  But this thing...this thing comes for you in the night...ew.

And, as I was typing the above, I got called to bring my slipper.  This might not be enough information...when I get asked to "bring my slipper" it means something needs a smack that lasts...there is no grip to create escape crevices...just flat leather that gets the bug done.  This time?  A spider that jumps.  It doesn't jump anymore.  I think we're going to spray the little pile of flooring spares under the stairs, and the thresholds today...I'm 'bout done with all these creepers.  On the bright side, I had my nice birthday and no one died from a spider bite.  That's my take-away from this story--along with still loving my "good camera"!

Cheers and chao!

No comments:

Post a Comment