Discovering that our moving suitcases--the huge ones--and some of the smaller ones too, were mouldy in the cupboard under the stairs was yuck, and for any Jimmy Fallon fans out there--"Ewww!" Little circles of brown-grey yuck...so those got scrubbed-hard. I wanted to kill the stuff, so we applied the cleaner, left it on for a while...did the wet cloth scrub...let that dry, and today, very likely, they will be dry enough to see whether or not we succeeded.
I am very happy that my favourites (yeah...I have favourite suitcases) were untouched by the mould! Yesterday, there was a victory beyond only having to scrub half the suitcases: the pile of papers is now divided and conquered...the sideboard is clear, except for one rainbow marker-ed Happy Mother's Day picture made for me...that goes into my collection, so I'm almost done. Next on the list is 'moving' paperwork; and again, since we're not sure that we'll all be traveling together--we'll be trotting over to the notary again, to officially give each other permission to travel with our mutual children. I don't actually mind that level of security. I do mind the thought of dozens of customs officials rooting through our goods; and that we can't ship the Colombian rums I've collected to take back with us.
Been sorting the kitchen, the closets...clothes have gone...shoes are next. The outgrown Cars bedding is headed to a younger boy. We have to find homes for our little maple syrups...but they're awfully cute, so that should be easy. I've been using up as much of our pantry stocks as I can, and as usual, come to the conclusion that there are no quantities of anything that match equally with any other quantities of anything else-- and a little overstock is still more economical and sensible than eating out.
I laughed heartily at myself for the satisfaction I found in matching all the plastic containers with their lids...like a toddler playing puzzles in the plastics cupboard. And soon, but not too soon--they'll all nest together and be as dense as possible for occupying the shipping container. With a few moves under our belts now, I've learned that I don't enjoying pulling apart a box to discover it had two awkward things in it, when it could easily have held seven...so that's my mission this time, especially as we're selling a lot and using a half-sized container. And further to the customs officials rooting...I've replaced all of our spare pillows, blankets and towels in their plastic store cases- hoping to have them arrive in better condition.
As usual, I'm wrestling with numbers of airline bags, because we're having a holiday stopover (12 bags on a little boat just sort of screams "crazy" to me)...I would dearly love to just sling a backpack over my shoulder and be done with it-but that's just fantasy-and I know it! Actually, as I proof this for spelling and autocorrect glitches--I remember that we did that when we left our house in Peru in the middle of the night... I had to replace a lot of stuff at our destination; which gave me my first ever dislike of shopping...
Cheers and chao!
No comments:
Post a Comment