Wednesday, 21 May 2014

Did not resist the urge very well--had to pick up a few tactile reminders of our months lived here

Today, I felt freed by the almost decision to go ahead with the full sized shipping container.  This translated into stopping at a frame shop to frame a few pieces of art treasure made by little miss, replacing the glass for a painting that arrived shattered in the last shipment, and undoing a setup that was put together in driest Santiago, Chile that went moody and spidery here in very humid Colombia--so that it could be remade and hang over the next fireplace.

Also...I wanted some practical, useful, everyday kinds of objects that would work in the next place we land.  My treasure finding philosophy is that if I don't want to see it daily, or if using it, or displaying it seems out of character for me, I'm far better off leaving it in the store--no matter how interesting it is to look at!  If I can't picture it in the house, or it feels like a mismatch with the rest of the things we have...it's just a waste of cargo space...

So today, I added a couple of chairs with woven seats... which is in keeping with my tactile sensibilities...I also liked the way they felt, the fact that they fold (which means that maybe they're going to BC, or possibly, to SK...)  They were really well made, which is something that I appreciate in an artisan's piece of work.  There are a few more pottery pieces...including two sizes of rice pots.  They're simple, but interesting to look at while being entirely practical.  When I use them, I'll remember living here...and the times we had people over for dinners.  There are bracelets made of corn, died and woven into very tidy patterns in colours that are beautiful together.

There is also a very vividly coloured basket, for holding hats in a girl's room.  It's got a cool pattern that she liked very much-in part, because the lid reminded her of a hat...

I had a nice lunch along with the whole excursion, with frijoles, patacones, avocado, and arepas....and coconut lemonade--which is extremely delicious.

Cheers and chao!

No comments:

Post a Comment