Wednesday, 12 February 2014

The wall--I hit it, now I'm fighting back...

With a trip to the large distribution centre market where growers from all around the city bring their goods...I am now re-energized to focus on all the great foods I can have again.  This photo represents about 1/80 of the stalls in the roofed section, which is one area in about 25 similar ones-some with displays like this, others that are more truck-backed-in-pay-the-man style...These are the platanos, but I bought the regular sweet bananas, along with sacks full of beets, onions, pineapple, granadillas (sweet seedy fruits that almost pop open), nectarines, apricot-peach kinds of fruit, avocados, and persimmons, which are an absolute treat, and a lot of fun to pop out of their papery pods...

Then, my friend and I stopped at the regular supermarket, had a little cafe (I did say I hit a wall!) and shopped on for the rest of the goods.  I'll be making lasagne with the nice egg pasta I found, for the 3/5 who will eat it, gluten-free spaghetti for the one who is testing his body without gluten, and something for me...likely a small lentil soup, because I liked it the last time.

So the market is HUGE...and there are stairs up to higher levels in some spots, squished fruits to dodge on the floor, crates being tossed from second floor to ground...men rushing about with crates stacked upon their shoulders, the odd biker, and lots of chatter...I saw one of the citrus vendors pressing and rolling the oranges to make them juicier...round ladies nodding at the freshest and frowning at the rest, loads of people pulling crates filled with fruits and veggies, a Jeep piled high with pineapples--just pineapples--and a smallish truck-jeep filled with boxes of food, and a few more tied down to the roof, with some platanos woven into the rooftop cargo...heading to the next stop-home? restaurant? roadside stand?   I was happy to be there, and happy to be back home in the cool house because it got HOT today...and I'm guessing the growers and drivers will be happy to hit the road home too-
Cheers and chao!

No comments:

Post a Comment