I have to share this dream because I get some really kooky ones. It is allergy related, roundaboutedly. What it means though, is that I was deeply asleep-a good thing, especially after the previous nights wakefest with the dogs.
So in this dream, we get invited to the home of a lady from the school, whom I've spoken with, but don't know very well. The kids and I all go, having no real expectations...
We arrive, and there are cages everywhere (maybe because yesterday I thought "it's like living in a kennel").
There are a number of different kinds of animals running around on the floor. My feet automatically raised themselves. The lady carries on like it's totally normal to have a bat in this close-fitting net-style enclosure to prevent it from flying-but it's so busy flapping, that I can hardly follow the conversation. All the while thinking...hey! that's not very nocturnal of him-flappin' around like that!
Then, I look around a little more, and the enclosures have strange stage-looking things around them, like chunks of rock from a museum, as though they were there once and part of an exhibit...then still in the dream, I recall, of course...her husband used to work at the museum, and they closed, so these must be from there...
Next thing I know, my kids come out cuddling a wide variety and size of rodents. (We have had the class guinea pig, as well as the class hamsters at our home for many a day--I didn't feel the need to cuddle them, but the kids did!)
Back in the dream...the kids want me to feel how soft they all are, and they're kind of dumping them at me, wrapped in these hairy blankets, so I'm starting to feel quite congested, because I'm allergic. I conclude the household must also have cats. I'm trying hard to be polite in the dream, thinking, we can't go, we just got here, and she's preparing a snack for the kids, etc...and trying to balance out whether or not, and how I can take my inhaler without being obvious. I'm trying to quietly tell the kids that I've had enough time with the rodents; so I suggest we look at some of the other creatures they have--to get out of the blankets and stuff they've thrust at me because it's so awesome. (I was talking in the afternoon with a lady about my allergies, after she was sharing how she found horse riding very challenging-I joked that the biggest challenge for me would be not having a full-blown asthma attack-hahaaa.)
So we go into a somewhat connected area in this house, where there are things that are a cross between alive and preserved. The live ones having very little habitat...and I'm getting a bit horrified-so it's taken a turn into something resembling Snape's dungeon (been reading lots of Harry Potter with the kids). The kids are getting kind of spooked too; and then I recall that we forgot a guitar lesson and need to go home immediately. (We put a lot of effort into remembering their lessons, and it's sometimes a jolt when we do...)
So we say our hasty good byes, now that there was a reason, and I leave the place with a headache.
Then I wake up...and guess what? I have a headache. The reason likely didn't originate in the dream. There was a dramatic change in the weather yesterday, suddenly overcast and we could see our breath...so that's the likely cause of sinus junk. Anyway, waking up was nice today, because I had had the best sleep in a long time...no dogs, no cough attacks or fish flipping beside me, no school to rush to...no kids upset with each other because the morning came so fast (that was yesterday)...Actual, real, sleep. Ahhhh...nice way to wake up on a Saturday.
So that dream was an interesting mix for me...reality, conversation snippets, and weird brain organization into the crazy dream. I wonder what happens in the dreams I don't remember?!! The scientific theory I recall is the one that says during rest, the visual cortex drives the dreams by sorting or dumping images as it processes the day's activity as part of solidifying memories, and that the rest of the brain works to superimpose a story, or semblance of order to the random images...It's all quite entertaining, regardless of the cause--unless it's one of those freak out dreams. There's another sort of evolutionary biology theory that says the themes of the super-imposed stories are one of two survival themes...violence or the propagation of species style dream; and that the dream's theme is like a run-through-or rehearsal- so that at least the dreamer has thought it through should one be chased by dangerous creatures, or pursued by an amorous other...
Anyway...today, for health and energy, we'll start with smoothies. Good for the kids too, especially given that our evening will include pizza and birthday cake. The cake is for our friends' son, but his mom said he likes everything and couldn't say what his favourite was--so my kids stepped in (happily, because they always get to choose their favourite dinner, and the type of cake they want for their birthday). He's going to get a black forest cake. So after smoothies, we're going to make a quick run to the grocery store and get what we need. I made a large banana cake yesterday, so I need eggs today. I buy many fewer now that I can't really seem to eat them! It affects the baking supply at times.
That's the start of the weekend...I have been asked what I'd like to do for Mother's Day, and pondered, so I think tomorrow we'll drive south a bit, and I'll take the camera to get the fall colours that are at their most brilliant right now.
Chao!
No comments:
Post a Comment