Monday, 14 February 2011

I think the egg is slowly wearing off my face...

Well, not the actual egg, but the effects of....

I have hungry kids here, following their swimming lesson....and I quote:

"Mom, I'm hungry.  What can I have and not a banana?"

My answer to a child who's 'starving' at an inconvenient time (such as immediately following breakfast, lunch or dinner--or immediately preceding lunch or dinner) is......(yep)....Banana.

So I'm still working the food things...I never wanted to be a vegan, or anything close-I'm fine with eating meat; but again, my body disagrees--and now, with no dairy, and no eggs, the only creature that features in my menu is fish.  I'm sooo close to being a vegan I might even need a cookbook.

I've tried another new food today--beans.  That's one I hope to keep, because they make soup so much more interesting.  And on the odd day, I could have them with tortilla chips and guacamole.  Corn is just a sometimes food for me; but I can adapt.  I predict it will mostly be the popped kind.  Mi favorita!!!

Speaking of Spanish-I need to remember to write my homework out.  Can't learn fast enough to satisfy myself-but I know enough to (powered by my new Chilean visa card) get my iphone working.  The paperwork here is culpable in the world-wide wasting of trees.  There-vegan and tree-huggin all in the same post.  The amount of time, and the number of hoops I needed to jump through were astonishing.  Getting back to the iphone point now.

One must have Chilean civil id (took 11 months for that, and 5 hours of line-up times 5 people times 3 trips, and two missings of school, and two taking of the fingerprints).  I also needed a bank account (took 11.5 months, copies of Jeff's contract (2 weeks) and three visits to the bank).  Needed a visa as well; because pay-as-you-go "no existe aqui" aka-no such thing for iphones!  Needed to wait for the visas to activate.  2 days.  Needed to wait in line the first time to find this out.  3 hours.  Needed to change the pins. 5 minutes.  Waiting for a salesperson at the service provider-no minutes.  Getting the paperwork done there.  45 mins.  Waiting for sim card.  25 mins.  Getting sim card in.  10 mins.  Interruption by other person working there. 5 mins.  Nearly sprinting from the store, ecstatic with the freedom of being half done-2.3 secs.  Yes, I have to go back to initiate the 3G functions.  Oops, nearly forgot to add this was the third try at getting it happening-we spent 20 minutes at the kiosk in November too.

I honestly don't know how I managed to do it without escorting a cell phone person to Jeff's office where he could personally swear he works legally!  And, I have to be married to him-I think.  I just exist here as an extension on the visa.  Some days, that's a bit wearing, because I see a whole person when I look in the mirror--HONEST!  Industry-standards induced identity issues??!!! Sometimes, it's water off this duck's back, and sometimes, I would like to roar at the people behind the desks...but I don't.  Wouldn't be ladylike now would it?  Besides, what would my husband say!  [too bad there's no sarcasm button that would add tone to the words] OH WELL~~

Anyway...I did say the kids were hungry didn't I?  Chao!

PS-yesterday's reader numbers were huge!  It's because you thought I was going nuts right?  I can never go nuts--because my kids are allergic.

No comments:

Post a Comment