Friday, 2 May 2014

It smells great, so I think it might taste good (taco casserole)

We're having big kids over tonight, so it was time for a hearty, yet healthy, filling dinner idea.  Also, because we're moving, I thought it would be nice if it helped knock down some of the pantry stocks, and fridge contents:)  Of these less glamourous ideas, the notion turned from lasagne to taco casserole-why?  Because I had whole wheat tortillas, and I don't have to boil them and wash up the lasagne pasta pots... and we had two jars of salsa started, and more than a couple packages of beef in the freezer...and some ricotta cheese...and a package of taco seasoning...and quite a few little bits of cheese.

This is all coming together in a taco casserole.  The first half-full bottle of salsa went into the ground and browned beef, along with the seasoning mix.  The second half mixed together with the small container of ricotta, to serve as what was always the "cottage cheese" layer of the lasagne I make--when there's cottage cheese (which there isn't here...).  I chopped up some sour pickles, because my friend in Yellowknife served tacos with diced dills and I loved it-so those are mixed into the ricotta and salsa.

The layering was simple, and based on a sandwich "hack" I'd seen, which was a circular slice of meat, cut in half, so the straight cut portion would fill in the corners.

  • a few spoonfuls of meat, spread evenly in a 9x13 inch pan
  • the sliced tortillas, arranged to fill in the corners, and because of the size I used, I needed a whole one, to fill in the centre.  
  • the ricotta, salsa, sour pickle mix, spread evenly over the tortillas
  • another layer of tortillas
  • another layer of meat
  • another layer of tortillas
  • the rest of the meat
  • topped with the very varied little bits of...italian blend, mozzarella, and gouda cheeses
It's baking lowly and slowly, because those kids I mentioned-- they're still on their way back from school.

Cheers and chao!

PS-ultimately, we had to remove the top layer, because when asked "how does it look?" kiddo replied along the lines that it was fine, but in reality, what he thought was ground beef on top, was actually too-browned cheese.  So that came off, thanks to layers?!!, and we went with a nicely golden mozzarella instead.  I think it was better without the burned top.  I am looking forward to my nice big convection oven...

No comments:

Post a Comment