There is a lot going on here...and it's not just histamine reactions. Biggest kid and I spent most of yesterday with an allergist, doing the challenge allergy test. Touch to the lips, wait 20 minutes...then 10 milligrams, wait 20 minutes...50, 100, etc...up to 3 grams every 20 minutes, and each time, monitoring skin, eyes, throat, O2 saturation, tongue, reporting any pains, peak flow, and a new one that I've only seen once, peak intake. Peak intake is a pressure measuring mask that monitors how powerfully one can inhale through the nose.
After all that, without any adverse reaction of any kind--he's cleared. Though-no lentils, and no small white beans. He's fine with that, and those two are way, way easier to avoid. Apparently, I'm one of those choosy moms...from the commercials, (or that's what they have in the market here!) who chooses JIF. Honestly, it's bizarre to pick out things for him to eat. 27 hours later, and I'm still in a sort of daze over the whole thing.
I've had thoughts like-
Oh, when he's grown, he can travel anywhere and eat whatever there is (except lentils and white beans).
He can have Snickers.
I can have Snickers?!!! (I've abstained, save for two trips when I thought three days would be enough for me to rinse myself clean of any residue....)
Crunchy or smooth?
Ice cream shops.
Desserts in restaurants.
I hope he still makes healthy choices, and isn't hung up on chocolate bars....I'm hung up on Snickers.
M&Ms--any kind!
Cinnabon
Asian cuisine.
Menu--whatever he wants. (Again, except the lentils and the white beans:)
He's had thoughts like wishing himself back to the chocolate shops in Zurich and the bakeries in Germany and Austria. (Totally get it!)
So we've had the boys for allergy tests--Middle Man was too nasally infected for his...so we're waiting. I took the opportunity to eat some peanuts too, while we were in the Doctor's office...because I've wondered. I got a little itchy, but it resolved quickly. Must not be too high in histamine?
As for me, I'm in a fresh round of assertive investigating again...Gastro doc today, who recommended a CAT scan (to rule out tumour-induced vomiting), investigate the headaches a bit more, an endoscopy, an abdominal ultrasound, and blood tests...there will be biopsies as well...The CAT scan is done, though here it is a TAC scan--there was nothing that induced the techs to call an ambulance. It was the most Star Trek exam I've ever had. I was almost looking for tri-quarters...or the med bay...or Wesley Crusher...or young Bones....the whole ceiling lit up around the edges, and changed colour while the test was happening, and I slid in and out of the ring...
In Spanish, I asked "no hay emergencias en mi cabeza?!" before I left. (No emergencies in my head?!) I really feel like laughing inside when I catch someone off guard with a little humour, in Spanish, because it's so unfair to whoever I'm speaking with...Not expecting any joking from the gringa...so even if it's barely funny, it registers!
Got the crown installed on the toughest tooth...the last upper molar. It was...wow. Over. That's the main thing. It's in. Onto the next repairs.
With the tooth, and the allergy testing, the desire to eat mush was pretty powerful. Mush of choice? Crunchy JIF.
Cheers and chao!
No comments:
Post a Comment