The panelists four influential people, some of the 'heavy-lifters' I've been reading about in the last two years of looking at business practices:
- Sheryl Sandburg is the COO of Facebook,
- Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka, the Executive Director of UN Women,
- Christine Lagarde, the Managing Director of the International Monetary Fund
- Carlos Ghosn, Chairman and CEO of Nissan and Renault
Moving away from the stereotypes of women; and onto the facts that there's half the population that simply shows up less frequently in the workforce, especially in leadership is important to me. They cover the gamut and I was riveted by every question and each response.
Please comment if you feel likewise, or differently- I like hearing different viewpoints on the matters these five have discussed (I'm including the reporter)
I liked Christine Lagarde's challenge to not call men and women members of the opposite sex...and then her deferent beginning, "If you'll allow me...". She says it's a battle that we all need to fight, and win, in the world's best interest; but then proceeded to set women and men in opposition with "as good/ better at" etc...kind of language-- which is when I get ruffled. What would happen to our discussion if we simply said "women make excellent managers" etc... A push for excellence, regardless of gender, seems like a more appealing argument to me. And they get there--
I really liked Ghosn's point on education, coaching, mentoring, of girls and women--along with the agreements from the rest of the panel. Measurement, and accountability come up too, which is always something I cheer over. At 30 mins in, or so, he brings it back around to diversity--more diverse=stronger companies and stronger countries.
Cheers...
No comments:
Post a Comment