Saturday, 8 March 2014

Life, with sensitivities...is different

This is just an attitude post.  Mine changes from time to time.  It's often related closely to how I'm feeling, which is related to how I'm eating, and how I'm exercising.  Sometimes...I'm very realistic and positive about it.  Sometimes, I'm still a little/lot/very grouchy about the whole business.  This week, I'll have to say I'm uselessly rebellious about the whole thing.

I guess that as I go along, I'll be able to get a little less grouchy about it and a little more utilitarian.  Today, for instance, is Saturday, and a nice day to run about a bit, and stop for a bite of lunch.  Somewhere that has no peanuts, options that are wheat free, and hopefully, somewhere that makes good food that I won't end up, uh...let's be polite today and call it "rejecting".  I'm sometimes frustrated that I can't just stop and grab a burger...

I've dealt with this all before, when I had to go gluten free, and remember that some days are better than others.  The challenge this time is that I feel I have to kick it into another level of awareness, and research, etc.... Being histamine sensitive seems to require that I develop a 'geiger counter' approach to food, while still avoiding those foods that I know I'm immediately, and usually/always sensitive to.     For people in the 'know' about food sensitivities, I can explain the histamine business--for those who aren't, I just say allergic-because the outcome for me is virtually the same, whether the histamines are present in the food, or the food releases them, is really of little consequence to an observer...the outcome too closely resembles an allergic reaction to make explaining the differences worthwhile.

I'm working at accepting this new lot of circumstances...and trying to realize that it's similar to before, when I had to give up wheat, gluten, etc...I need to allow myself a little food grief from time to time.  It is that similar to the grieving process, because I have to realize, accept and incorporate the loss of the previous 'ease of living'.  So that's it, I'm just posting this for anyone who's looking to understand it all better--and why most of the time, it doesn't bother me, because I'm typically content enough to do what makes me healthy; but that some of the time it truly stinks to have to be constantly vigilant like this...

Cheers and chao!

No comments:

Post a Comment