Sunday, 13 March 2011

My electronic and real lives aren't getting along!

So we've NOT changed time here in Chile...but we will on April 2, 2011--but the computers and cell phones don't know that!  While I might not be sure of what time it is, I know it's getting close to dinner...

This afternoon, I picked some rocks to help with International Day at the school.  I'm pitching in for the Canadian events in the classroom.  6 times through the whole deal for the 6 grade 5 classes...this calls for decorating, inukshuk building (rocks), quiz show, and prizes:)  I've offered to make the cupcakes, with their maple leaf shaped sprinkles...

I have a renewed interest in the foods, after a little lull (but the lull was general-not just about food).  Planning for a little more excitement in general has been a good thing.  Today for example, the results include a batch of cookies, a pan of banana cake, soup, french toast, and a roasted chicken dinner, along with freshening up the fridge.  Tomorrow?  Don't know yet.  I think I might decide to reactivate the planning system I used when I was doing daycare and needed to have my menus together for the week.

We got together, all named our favourite dishes and dinners, and I broke them into cards, which the kids enjoyed picking from...and added new dishes (along with a recipe index if needed).  I had the cards colour coded for mains, veggies, carbs, and desserts.  Each 1.5x2inch card held the name of dish, along with the out of the ordinary items required to make it so that when the time came to shop, I could quickly glance over the cards, make my list, and hit the store.  I also kept a master list on a spreadsheet that corresponded to the store sections--which I could customize easily, print, and be on my way.

So once it was done, I estimate that I saved numerous trips to the store and prevented the forgotten, yet key, ingredients.  The kids liked picking, I liked having the order, and being able to balance out the meals and lunches...so that we were getting good nutrition.  It also gave me a way to get into my books more, and find good sides, because I'd just write the name of the book and the page.  

I basically cross-referenced our preferences with my existing stash of cookbooks, and made a plan for increasing the variety of foods in our week.  Being planned for a week gave me the foods I needed, and the flexibility of choosing which went well with what night.  The slow-cooker was a friend for those heavily scheduled days, and if I wanted a stew and biscuit-I knew ahead of time, and would have, for example, the buttermilk on hand!

While it sounds or appears like a crazily intense system; it actually simplified a lot, while giving me the freedom to choose when.  It also let the kids be involved in their foods, increased their interest in what we were eating, and gave them the opportunity to see how the kitchen worked.

That's about all for now, I have to go put the chicken in.  We're having a broken toy drama too-so blogging is all wrapped up for the weekend.  I'm off to assist in the problem solve and get cooking.

Chao!


No comments:

Post a Comment