Borscht - because I grew up loving it!
One of my favourite things to eat is a bowl of borscht - it's earthy in the best way, like turnips and things that taste like the country, or food festivals with Ukrainian booths - yum. My favourite way to eat it is with a dollop of full-fat sour cream. Sadly, that's not possible anymore with the whole diary free business I'm living with...but it doesn't stop me from wanting that flavour, especially on an afternoon, in the season of endless rains...and I mean endless. I'm excited in a cloudy day that's not raining in the moment, nearly giddy if there's a window through the clouds into the blue sky beyond!
Rainy days mean bone chilling, damp cold, that requires active heating to warm a body up - so...soup. I'm posting this one because I figured out how to get that same/similar flavour without the dairy. Using the entirety of the almond milk I made, and apple cider vinegar.
I Thermomixed it, of course - because the love never dies!!! and won't bother with that method, because it's really about the ingredients.
1 diced yellow onion, sauteed until clear, in abundant olive oil (makes for rich flavour)
7 long, small beets, peeled and cubed (but shreds would do nicely, and cook quickly)
2 tbsp freeze dried dill
1/4-1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp garlic powder (because I've used up all fresh, and forgot to order more!!!)
2 gluten free beef boullion cubes
about 750 mls of almond milk (recipe -with my friend's giggle -in last post)
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
Boil until beets are cooked through, and soft - about 50 minutes, stirring frequently.
To beef it up, or elk it up, or bison it up...I'd add a scant pound of ground to cook with onions and proceed from there. If you have more meat than that, I'd up the quantities of veggies.
If you don't have that many beets, add carrots - the beets will stain the whole lot, and the carrots will be contribute a bit of sweetness...
Cheers and chao!
One of my favourite things to eat is a bowl of borscht - it's earthy in the best way, like turnips and things that taste like the country, or food festivals with Ukrainian booths - yum. My favourite way to eat it is with a dollop of full-fat sour cream. Sadly, that's not possible anymore with the whole diary free business I'm living with...but it doesn't stop me from wanting that flavour, especially on an afternoon, in the season of endless rains...and I mean endless. I'm excited in a cloudy day that's not raining in the moment, nearly giddy if there's a window through the clouds into the blue sky beyond!
Rainy days mean bone chilling, damp cold, that requires active heating to warm a body up - so...soup. I'm posting this one because I figured out how to get that same/similar flavour without the dairy. Using the entirety of the almond milk I made, and apple cider vinegar.
I Thermomixed it, of course - because the love never dies!!! and won't bother with that method, because it's really about the ingredients.
1 diced yellow onion, sauteed until clear, in abundant olive oil (makes for rich flavour)
7 long, small beets, peeled and cubed (but shreds would do nicely, and cook quickly)
2 tbsp freeze dried dill
1/4-1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp garlic powder (because I've used up all fresh, and forgot to order more!!!)
2 gluten free beef boullion cubes
about 750 mls of almond milk (recipe -with my friend's giggle -in last post)
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
Boil until beets are cooked through, and soft - about 50 minutes, stirring frequently.
To beef it up, or elk it up, or bison it up...I'd add a scant pound of ground to cook with onions and proceed from there. If you have more meat than that, I'd up the quantities of veggies.
If you don't have that many beets, add carrots - the beets will stain the whole lot, and the carrots will be contribute a bit of sweetness...
Cheers and chao!
No comments:
Post a Comment