Bread anything is rare these days...but with another kid joining the gluten-free, dairy-free...that brings this household to 3 dairy-free, 2 gluten-free and a pair who can eat anything... My friend pairs a song with her posts - and I think because of that, this tally of dietary exceptions started following the tune of the 12 Days of Christmas--a pair who can eat an-y-thiiiing (instead of the partridge in a pair tree). In that spirit- To the tune of....Demi Lovato... in the quest to stay well over the holidays.
There's something extra tough about all the goodies that pop up in the holiday seasons, but this next recipe is a little something special because it's cinnamon-vanilla flavours with the loveliness of bread!
I used a gluten-free cinnamon raisin bread - any brand would do, I think. I was in a seasonal baking mood (doing more of those pecans - but with almonds too)...and this came to me as something that the recently deprived might enjoy (Big Kid).
Bread Pudding (Gluten- and Dairy-Free)
3/4 loaf of gluten-free cinnamon raisin bread
5 eggs (more than normal, because the bread is d-r-y)
2 cups almond milk
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup maple syrup
a few raisins (mostly for decoration - because too many will suck up the custard and dry out the dish)
deep brown sugar, for a sprinkle over top
Cut the bread into cubes and place in a greased 9x9 pan. Using a bowl large enough to hold bread and liquid, mix eggs, almond milk, cinnamon and vanilla together very well. Add bread and fold together gently. Let sit for 5 mins to soak the bread, and transfer to baking dish. Sprinkle with about a tablespoon of brown sugar (in this case, I'm using barely any, because I don't want it to blacken the top while it's baking). Let sit for a couple more minutes until the sugar is dissolved. Then bake- I'm starting with 30 mins at 350, and I'll test from there, in increments until the centre is set.
Serve with a few pretty slices of banana and drizzle with maple syrup... Boom - holiday breakfast! Ooooh - next time I'm going to serve with bacon. I might even cook some to very crisp, and sprinkle a crumble on top... It would be a nicely rounded out breakfast with some fruit salad too, or some frothy orange juice.
Cheers and (Christmas) chao!
There's something extra tough about all the goodies that pop up in the holiday seasons, but this next recipe is a little something special because it's cinnamon-vanilla flavours with the loveliness of bread!
I used a gluten-free cinnamon raisin bread - any brand would do, I think. I was in a seasonal baking mood (doing more of those pecans - but with almonds too)...and this came to me as something that the recently deprived might enjoy (Big Kid).
Bread Pudding (Gluten- and Dairy-Free)
3/4 loaf of gluten-free cinnamon raisin bread
5 eggs (more than normal, because the bread is d-r-y)
2 cups almond milk
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup maple syrup
a few raisins (mostly for decoration - because too many will suck up the custard and dry out the dish)
deep brown sugar, for a sprinkle over top
Cut the bread into cubes and place in a greased 9x9 pan. Using a bowl large enough to hold bread and liquid, mix eggs, almond milk, cinnamon and vanilla together very well. Add bread and fold together gently. Let sit for 5 mins to soak the bread, and transfer to baking dish. Sprinkle with about a tablespoon of brown sugar (in this case, I'm using barely any, because I don't want it to blacken the top while it's baking). Let sit for a couple more minutes until the sugar is dissolved. Then bake- I'm starting with 30 mins at 350, and I'll test from there, in increments until the centre is set.
Serve with a few pretty slices of banana and drizzle with maple syrup... Boom - holiday breakfast! Ooooh - next time I'm going to serve with bacon. I might even cook some to very crisp, and sprinkle a crumble on top... It would be a nicely rounded out breakfast with some fruit salad too, or some frothy orange juice.
Cheers and (Christmas) chao!
No comments:
Post a Comment