Wednesday, 30 November 2016

Almond milk -I made it, skeptically - turned out!!

I used a Thermomix recipe -
180 grams of almonds soaked for 24 hours in filtered water, with the water changed once.
750 ml filtered water
All together in the mixing bowl on speed 9 for 90 seconds.
It's then drained through a nut bag, and it's delicious.

I'm currently drying the nut meal that's left...and I'll save it for something, in the freezer. I'm sure that anyone with a Vitamix could find a recipe online that would give the same result - just a sec, I'm going to get one. Click here to open it. As for the nut bag, (I know...I know...), I found one for about 5 dollars in a kitchen specialty shop. Click here to see options on Amazon.ca I see there are large ones, but I think those would be a bit awkward, I'm happy with the smaller, oval, nylon mesh one because it worked simply, and washed out easily.  Most recipes caution the maker to not get too enthusiastic with the squeezing or the nut bag can rip (again...I know, I know....). And for explanatory purposes/laughs - all these "I know, I know..." notations are for a friend who once commented that she didn't think almond drink was actually "milk" but she knew "nut juice" wouldn't sell... ... ... 

What I liked about it was the no sugar version tasted very, very good.  It's creamy, which I didn't expect (I'd used 180 instead of the 160 called for, having read that more almonds made it creamier). It's so basic.  I've saved myself future $$ and many, many cartons of waste.  One plastic bag of raw almonds goes a long, long way.

In looking into the idea, I investigated several recipes and discovered the concept of anti-nutritive properties of nuts--they're much easier on the system if they've been soaked (as with beans...) because those dissolve or transform into more absorbable forms of nutrition.

So next? Chocolate...vanilla... and I'll for sure try it out for a latte and see if it isn't extra delicious.
Cheers and chao!

No comments:

Post a Comment