Saturday, 18 February 2017

Samosa-Shepherd's Pie Paleo-concoction

I put this notion of dinner onto Facebook, and it worked. It's grass-fed ground beef, and for me, because I can't eat nightshades, I left off the mashed potatoes and made individual portions for the kids.  If grains work in a person's body, then of course, it could go onto any pastry - gluten-free or traditional wheat...and it would be even closer to the samosa inspiration.

Here's the grainless version at our house-

Brown 1 lb ground beef with a large diced onion (or 2 medium ones) stirring until it's crispy (because I like to cook it longer when I know I'm going to add liquid).
Add the spices and keep stirring:
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp cumin
2-3 tablespoons garam masala (mine is coarse, so I pounded it into a finer powder because I don't like the husks)
1 tsp garlic powder, or 2 cloves pressed fresh
Once the mixture is crispy, and very well browned,
Add
400 mls coconut milk, stirring well to get all the bits up
Stir in
6 medium carrots, cut into smalIf l, even pieces so they distribute well
1/2 a bag of frozen sweetlets peas

At the same time, cook and mash approximately 6 medium potatoes, with the skins on because they carry most of the vitamins...and taste to make sure there is enough salt to your taste. I mashed with "Melt" which is a non-dairy margarine/butter... and some coconut milk - but butter and milk would taste fine - of course!

If you're not a fan of lots of dishes...and you have a really large skillet, do the meat and veggies in the skillet, and then top with the mashed potatoes to bake at 375 for 30 mins, or until the top is golden. If you want it in baking dishes, then that's the way to go -- If you try it and like it, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment