Wednesday, 20 May 2015

Surprised! And then some recipes with mahi mahi.

Over the weekend, I clicked over into another year; in related news, my husband gets the biggest kick out of surprising me.  So I had a weekend visit with a friend from University, and life since then, who flew over three provinces to catch up with me.  I was seriously touched, especially since she's no lover of the airplanes... On top of that, in popped my parents?!! We had and are having a fun visit, which is what's inspiring the more creative meals.  This one is nearly ready to set into the oven...

To be obvious, we're having it with peas and green beans.  It helps that my parents are trying the same kind of nutrition, so they're feeling supported, and not deprived when I don't make much beyond proteins, veggies, and smoothies... but in case they do, I have a little stash of permissible gluten-free, potato-free bread in the cupboard.

The Mahi Mahi with Pineapple Herb Salsa

In the Thermomix, I dropped a quarter onion, a tablespoon of coconut oil, a handful of parsley, spearmint, and chives pinched off the little deck herb garden, added about 2 cups of frozen pineapple chunks, and chopped it up without too much fuss.  Then, I thought it might not have enough 'grab' to stay on the fish, so I added about a quarter cup of almond meal, and stirred that in...It will go into the oven at 400F, for about 22 minutes per inch of thickness, and I'll watch and see if I need to squash it around or not...

Peas--boiled, so not exotic.

Green beans, which I find a little snoozy on their own, are being boiled in chicken stock.

And that's dinner, I'll come back and let you know if I'll never, or ever, make this again--

Cheers and chao.

Update- It's good. I'd put a cover over it, and then broil it at the last to keep the fish from drying out the next time I make it.  The flavour combination turned out well, not really sweet at all, so the onion-pineapple competition was well balanced with the herbs.  It looks delicate when it's done, and the salsa on top gets browned nicely.



No comments:

Post a Comment