Sunday, 10 May 2015

Reloading the stocks... The idea behind the Costco run

This is not an ad for Costco.  But maybe I should get a little bit of compensation?!!

I loved being there today. [Actually yesterday, because I got pulled away from this blog that I started last night!] It's more recap now, than 'in-the-moment'...but still- I did make this stuff.

They were loaded with flowers in planters all along the Costco sidewalk.  Flower baskets to hang, perennials, annuals, at a fraction, I mean-like a fraction, of what they would cost elsewhere, and loads bigger, healthier, etc...

Came home, and clipped off some of the herb garden, stuffed it into the two chickens, roasted that until dinner.  Pulled off some of the chicken, left the bones, froze the meat off one, had the other for dinner, and I've been boiling the rest for soup ever since.  Speaking of chicken, I had to buy a new chicken pot, and it too has the magic-plus it's a blue so deep it's nearly purple, which is a nice colourful change in the kitchen.  This one has a little more bare cast iron around the contact points, so I think it will last longer than the five years the other one did...

When I was roasting the chicken, I kept in mind the benefits of the fermented foods, and I needed liquid, so I added a Kombucha ginger ale to the roasting pan, and that, along with cut lemons, gave us some very tender, juicy chicken--and I'm stopping with the descriptions now because I can't decide if I sound more like Gollum or a Hobbit!

The next blitz was on the ground beef, I decided I'd freeze it cooked and ready to become some kind of dish, so I did three pounds at once - to try the new "magic chicken pot"-and it worked like a charm.  Again I added snips from the herb garden, and onion, and garlic, but I didn't go too intense with any flavour, because some night, when I want to use that beef, I want to be able to spice it more specifically-but I figured those showed up in nearly every beef anything I've ever made.  I think it will be a versatile enough starting place.

Loaded up on the fresh berries, because I know the kiddos have Sunday morning Mother's Day plans they'll likely require berries, no matter what they wish to try.  The greens bag in the fridge it fresh and ready to blend, there's broccoli waiting and ready... Since it's been a few hours, the frozen yogurt snacks have nearly gone--two batches of visiting kids is a fast and easy way to make room in the freezer!

That's about all--happy eating and making ahead to you all! Cheers and chao.

No comments:

Post a Comment