Friday, 27 March 2015

BBQ and sweet (potato) inspiration

I hope that my aunt and cousins are the veggie-adventurers I think they are, because they're the tasters of this carb-y salad.

So, I can't really eat potatoes without feeling "poorly"- yes, that's a bit of a Scottish way to put it, but I'm very Outlander permeable these days, as I await the second half of the first season. Oh my-back to what I was writing for: I can't really partake of the potatoes, so I thought along picnic lines, and decided to try the sweet potato instead.

Spiced Sweet Potato Salad
  • 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, cubed, boiled until just cooked and cooled (so as not to mess with the food safety of the mayonnaise).  Those are in process as I type nearby, watching them boil
Into a salad bowl:
  • 3 mini-cucumbers, quartered lengthwise and 'cubed', even though, geometrically speaking, it 'triangles' them into the same sizes as the sweet potatoes
Add spices to let them rehydrate a bit on the cucumber chunks: 1/8 tsp dill, two shakes of cumin, 3/4 tsp paprika, and 1/2 tsp ground mustard, and a couple shakes of garlic powder (not salt!).  Then add:
  • small red onion, coarsely minced
  • 1/3 to 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1-1/2 tsp of apple cider vinegar
Mix the cold veggies, spices and vinegar to let the flavours start coming together.  Refrigerate. Once the sweet potato chunks have cooled, add, stir, and chill again until ready to serve.  And, if you're heading over, tonight, we're serving it with beef and salmon burgers that will be topped with healthy dark greens and optional cheddar.  Maybe I'll whip together a cranberry chutney of sorts too.

Cheers and chao!


PS- again with the sky reflecting in the windows...another one (almost) bites the dust.  Bird brains!!! Yes, I startle-jumped.

No comments:

Post a Comment