Monday, 26 January 2015

I have given myself the gift of more research--this time, Dr. Wahl's Protocol

Highlight of the day: I balanced on the arm of the sofa and the brick fireplace mantle to change the light bulb.  That's enough joking about that... as I did do other stuff as well, including a wee furniture move, groceries, and a nice amount of relaxing too!

I've been looking into Dr. Wahl's protocol, as an impartial observer, but now, I'm going to try it for myself.  Having recently learned that chronic fatigue (which happily, no one has in this house) is viewed by some doctors to be a mitochondrial issue, it seemed to be worth a closer look.

Mitochondria are a part of every cell, often called the powerhouse of the cell.  Chemicals go into the organelle, shift through membranes in biochemical reactions that release energy for the cell to use, at least, when they're working properly.  Here's a quick link if you wish to share in a science moment: mitochondria.  If I were there with you, I'd use my best science video voice (er...make that a 1962-83 film voice...) to make it at once both captivating... and numbing!

When it comes to looking at metabolism, it doesn't really get much more basic than this, so I do feel like perhaps I'm onto something... Apparently, these little 'powerhouses' can be burned out by a number of triggers, and it takes some rather severe coddling to get them humming along happily again.  Too much sugar and it's frazzled, rather, it needs to use other sources of energy-like fats- making things like avocado and coconut oil better fuel supply.

This inspired an anti-inflammatory rice dish that happened to taste fantastic.  I used the rice cooker with basmati, turmeric, ginger, garlic and a 1/4 cup of coconut oil.  But I digress, as that was last night.  Because I feel better when I don't eat leftovers (previous posts about histamine being high in leftovers), I freeze my extras for later.  Today, being just later than yesterday, I decided to fry that rice with more coconut oil just to see how it would taste.  If it was good, I was going to use it as a base recipe for making "takeout" rice at home...with chicken, and little chopped veggies... I melted the coconut oil into the fry pan first, added the rice, poured a little boiling water over it to help it thaw, and let it go... I will certainly make it again, as it made a nifty crust that was crisp-but-not-too-crisp.

Later on in the day, I spent a few minutes putting together a tracking spreadsheet, as I've always just kept track (mostly) mentally...but...this time around, my bounce is very slow, and I think I might like seeing progress.  Data lovers need data.

Cheers and chao!

No comments:

Post a Comment