Wednesday, 23 July 2014

Lake life... and new food practices that seem to work


Being at the cabin has been a great idea - we have the freedom to run to town whenever we want to, and the comforts of the cabin here, whenever we want to... I've been almost able to forget that there's a house unpacking-set-up in my near(ish) future.  Almost.  I can wait for the crackling of packing paper and ripping off of tape and flattening of boxes....

My parents have their own place to take care of, but have managed to come out for a few days too- and they've been here this week...which reminds me, I need to update the cabin log (a book that I've hil-ariously named as such-because we have a half-log clad cabin). 

Because my parents neighbour just sent a message to my mom that she can water the flowers and check the house for them, we are in a bonus day, so I've decided to sit for a bit instead of prepping for a run into town. Excitement is high here, with the kids and me, as we're getting a 3-person Waverunner.  This means we're going to be able to get out into the water and romp about...and today-we inflate the tube in anticipation.  I'll be trailering a thing for the first time with the truck, and launching a watercraft as well, so after this, I'll have to go online and secure my PCOC.  Those incredibly fancy initials mean that I'll have my Personal Craft Operator Card once I successfully pass the test.  We'll head over to a different lake this afternoon to pick it up...

So that covers the vacation aspect of what's on my mind...and now to the food.  I've been keeping it down.  With continuing experimentation, I am more and more convinced that the low-volume and high nutrition approach is the most beneficial to me.  This means, particularly, that I can have very, very little grain... when I have, for example, a gluten-free muffin AND a gluten-free bun --neither of which have anything I don't do well with in them-- I will almost certainly get heartburn, and feel less good.  Less good is a strange descriptor I know, but I don't exactly feel bad; however, I certainly feel less good.

I've had a half muffin this morning, a nice cup of coffee with cream, and a handful of nuts.  So far, a little queasy, but no skipping/running full-out to the loo.  I've kept everything but one meal down for nine days; and while that might sound horrid, it's magnitudes of improvement from the many times per day isn't it?!! So I'm taking it, and remembering to keep everything densely 'nutrified', and to have the hydration between meals and snacks... It's very particular, I realize, but it's far superior to the alternatives!  

All of this makes me wonder how other people's health might improve -- even if they just added a wickedly healthy, colourful smoothie into the mix of what they're already eating... I think the idea of adding nutrition is far more appetizing and appealing than the 'ol willpower/avoidance notions of "diet"... please let me know if you've tried something similar, and what improvements you've made in your own health.

Cheers and chao!

No comments:

Post a Comment