I posted some bird folly a while ago--and that folly was nesting in the open hill where hundreds of people-mostly small ones!- pass many times per day.... one of the little chicks drowned, another met a falling fate- but this one?! So far, so good... Mama bird is very protective--and the chick is obedient: one peep, and it goes running to Mama...
Although by all accounts, it's folly to have nested here-- the proof is in the interest of the crowd, and that's just a small one!
This one is my favourite...
Should add that I caused no visible stress...just me, and the zoom, though the vice-principle shooed the kids away and added that the tape meant "no one" (me, perhaps?!!) was supposed to be on the grass! In my defence, I interpreted the little bit of tape on the yard, with the sign that said "watch out for the chick" as just a warning, not the proper 'electric fence' it was meant to be! I gasp. Nah, I kid...I didn't gasp. I moved slowly, lowly, stayed small, and stayed far away-because really, I didn't want to stress either of the two birds, the angry mom, or the curious chick! I also showed the picture to about a dozen kids, so they wouldn't be tempted to try get close enough to see for themselves-because then the mama bird goes into all-out defence mode.
ReplyDelete