Tuesday, 27 May 2014

The packing tape is giving me g-gg-gooosebumps...

And why am I blogging mid move?!!  My only job at the moment is to supervise--the movers are insured, not me...so I sit at my computer.  They're encasing the patio goods at the moment.  They've been lovely, asking me where I'd like them to begin.  I said patio, because if they do everything else, we might not need the hotel tonight.  We're still checking in...because we don't want to lose the reservation and that kind of crazy happens here all the time!  Immersing in another country always means reconciling a different approach to life and business.

I'm cringing in advance, when I think of customs officials ripping into all of their hard work and careful packing of our things...so much got damaged in our last move.  Hoping for better luck this time-but being fully aware of our shipment's origin--I'm tossing and giving away all of our white powders.  No flour, instant potatoes, oatmeal, or anything that causes any eyebrow motion at all, really...nothing like that will accompany us.

I've already bagged all the pantry stocks to give away.  The containers are drying.  I'll nest them when they're dry for sure- goal?  Boxes clean and dry-without a speck of mould! I really like the kind of containers I've found here.  They have a d-pull on top, with an airtight seal...and they stack.  And they're square--I've stopped buying anything without sharp corners when it's for the pantry.  Food stocks and drinks are all bagged and ready for the hotel.  We have a little extra because I stocked up for a party that changed venues at the last second-in favour of the house with the pool...couldn't argue with that logic!

Today is the last music lesson, so I'll send a little extra money with the kids so they can get flowers for their teachers-they've had a fun time and learned a lot. Middle man has a nice tone, and he's creating varied sounds with the bow -so that's cool.  Little miss has stopped freaking out because the violin "presses to hard"on her collarbones...and her skill has improved greatly as well.  Here's to hoping we can continue in North Vancouver.  The school are supposed to have a strings program-but with the condition of the government-teacher relationship with regard to conditions, priorities, and budget and the value of education itself--I'm not sure that will still exist when we arrive in three months.

I'll miss so much, but I'm thinking of the familiarity and how that will be too--there're always two sides to this 'moving coin' that we flip around so frequently!  For now, I'm going to watch a show, and let my mind wander-because that's when I tend to have those "oh-yeah!" kinds of important memories...

Cheers and chao.

No comments:

Post a Comment