http://www.mastocytosis.ca/symptoms.htm
This article covers things that have happened in the past...to put it into the shortest thoughts possible, I'm not allergic, I just seem that way?!
Reacting to the environment, but not via the IgE pathways; in other words, allergy symptoms with no allergies, just as the allergy tests have said...Reacting to smells, like this morning, for example-I got harumphy and had a little trouble breathing because of sawdust and cigarette smoke.
From the article, everything I've coloured orange is something that I've reacted to in the past...when I was dissecting wheat (that's a real thing!), I had to wear gloves and a mask, because it triggered itchy, reddened skin, and asthmatic moments. In a horse arena, got asthmatic-but not allergic to dust, horses, or any animal dander...with certain hair products, I've gotten hives on my head, and I'm not allergic to anything "environmental" according to the round of tests I've just had. And although it's not in the chart, it is on other lists for histamine triggers...pumpkin! Halloween carving needs rubber gloves if I'm to avoid red, swollen, itchy arms from pumpkin gutting...And thanks to Costco, I didn't have to keep that thermal, beautifully red, merino wool crew neck that turned me into a scritchy mess of discomfort.
Contact Agent Triggers of Skin Reactions2
|
|
|
|
Further to this chart, perfumes do more to me, more quickly than almost anything else-but not to my skin, to my head. To my parent's amusement and amazement, I can tell the second I walk into their house if their scented oil diffusing sticks (what I teasingly call stink sticks) are anywhere other than zippered into plastic bags in preparation for our visits! I get an almost-to actual migraine from those...I remember, even as a child, that walking down the detergent aisle was something of a horror--I still avoid it if I can...It's nice to have a potential explanation for the reason this stuff has happened, because it means I'm not a princess-diva, it's a thing that actually happens to other people too. I feel empathy for them, and I know many are more sensitive than me. I'm feeling peaceful with finally understanding the interactions a little better.
From the same article, there is another chart, for things that cause other reactions-- In the physical agents, they list solar light wave...this is also me--itching in and after sun, though without sunburn, I have always assumed it was the fault of whatever sunscreen I'd used...so I've tried without, for a very short time, and discovered that somehow, my skin bugs me afterward, for hours...I thought it was because I was so very, very white...or perhaps it was the ozone layer being thinner in Santiago?!
The chart also mentions pressure, exercise, and water...this is me too, crazy itchy legs that I have to mentally "turn down" using biofeedback ideas I've taken on board over the years--so that I don't scratch off entire outer covering! Swimming lengths...having to stop and focus to turn off the burning, itching redness...I'd always thought it was just sensitivity to the pool chemicals...sort of, except that if I walk in certain pants, I'll get the crazy legs...but if I walk in shorts, I'll get the crazy legs if it's windy....and if I run, I get the crazy legs from the friction of pants/pounding the dirt...This is why I've incorporated biofeedback techniques... Interestingly for me, they actually help-visualization, deep breathing, and actually mentally turning down the intensity of the sensations.
And a last note on the chart--food. I keep eating though, as it seems necessary to vitality! I haven't ever been able to convince myself I don't need food; and everything I've read indicates mental health would suffer if I were to try!! This reminds me, the gastro-doc asked me, quite legitimately, if I was bulimic...I wonder if this has triggered anyone who's made the subconscious connection that food messes with them?!! I think it's in the realm of possibility...though I reassured the doctor I wasn't trying to vomit, I try to NOT vomit!
Nonimmunologic Histamine Releasers - and - Other Degranulation Triggers2
|
|
|
The next step for me is what I'm working on now...finding out what to DO ABOUT IT!!!
Cheers and chao.
No comments:
Post a Comment