Monday, 18 November 2013

He can see clearly now

We think...

More, again, about the birds.  I've commented on their songs, noises, activities, and most recently, about how they frequently thud into the windows.  Yesterday's little aviator didn't fare so well after his encounter with the dining room window...beaked himself into the earth!

Kids were distressed, and I'll say it was difficult to watch him breathing so rapidly (clearly, in shock).  The kids wanted to save him, put him in a box, etc...so I was explaining that our moving him would make his end more, rather than less likely because he would be so distressed by the contact, etc...nature... etc....And I had them convinced-until the thunder rumbled.  "He's going to get too wet, and too cold, and then he'll die FOR SURE!!!!"

So, I spied a dry, hardened palm leaf, and said we could shelter him from the rain with than, arrange it so when he was well (Optimism!) he could fly off when he was ready.  We carefully and slowly did that, placed the little slug from the leaf right in front of him in case he was hungry (slug outcome-unknown).  The kids were satisfied, but still bothered by his ruffled feathers.

Happily-Jeff saw him fly off after more than a couple of hours... pretty fine recovery considering he was twitching for a while after he landed.

And in other news, no ants in the coffee today.  Maybe next time I'll save them, in case we need to intervene in bird welfare again.

Cheers and chao!

No comments:

Post a Comment