The kids started their grades this year in Santiago, and I did school at home with middle man, because by then, we knew we were likely leaving. We went back to Canada, Jeff got new job, we waited for visas and all three kids were in school there-where we grew up. That was cool, and school number two...the visas came through and we're here in Colombia now, which makes school number three.
What they've learned has come from school, and loads has come from transitioning. Each of us met the challenges well enough, with some days feeling more successful than others. It's been really hard lately for that little middle man, because he's had a tough time settling in, after settling in...that's the culture shock zone every expat needs to be aware of-when it stops feeling like vacation and starts feeling like home-right?! Except that it doesn't quite, yet, and it's hard. I'm hoping next year is easier for him.
The others seem to have settled more easily, and we realized that the longest our oldest has been in a school is around two years-so in that sense, it's not surprising that he has this new kids business down. I hope he's not bored if he doesn't have to pack up his room again in another year!
They do still get to pack though...and it's really funny to open up a suitcase, packed by a little child, and seeing that everything is stacked neatly, with socks and undies all lined up in a container to 'keep them together and fit everything in well'. And almost as proof that the mom didn't pack it--there are too many stuffies...but the blanket is neatly folded and ready to go, which would make one wonder. I wouldn't be surprised if she grows up to be an efficiency expert of some sort...or she might work in international finance--she and her brother were working exchange rates the other day. I should add, she's also separated into checked and carry on- because "In case our bags are delayed, I'll still have clothes!"
So practical learning aside, I hope that for next year, the kids have a whole year of the same grade! Maybe even a couple more to follow?! And I hope middle man can find ways to fit in that don't rely on being the new kid...and that they're all ready for some extra curricular. Hindsight tells me that keeping them to just afterschool Spanish was likely a good thing for them...but foresight, combined with hindsight, tells me that next year they'll need the activities to make up for the lack of changing-school-country and homes excitement.
Last day, so I'm off to the video party at the school...then packing...or maybe I'll just let the kids pack my bags...Cheers and Chao!
No comments:
Post a Comment