Monday, 10 June 2013

What's out comes in, what's in, goes out...

Bugs.  More stories about bugs...which, contrary to Biology teacher sensibilities, will include spiders.  I know...they're arachnids...but, here, they bug me.

Growing up in Canada, thanks in part, to winter, outside stays out, and inside stays in.  You can bring in groceries, and you can take out garbage, but other than people getting in and out as fast as they can--that's really all that's welcome.  Except for gifts.

Here, and in Chile, the outside and inside mingle so much more.  There are no screens.  None.  You can't even buy stuff to build  your own screen at the biggest hardware store in the land!  I'd screen the small window in the shower, just to leave it open AND have the light on at the same time without attracting bugs to the glow.

To cool the house on a really hot day, I open the door, and then later, I sweep the debris off the floor, if it's really bugging me.  It gets done on the daily.  The breeze flows through the house, the bugs die on the borders, where fumigation has drawn its non-toxic line.  I also have "eco" bug deterrent-- it smells like the chrysanthemum-based ant killer in Santiago, so, I think it works?!  I also have my thumbs, for when the ants find something in the pantry that the kids have left open...

The patio gets cleaned like it's an inside floor...and so does the front step.  The preying mantis was on the outside sofa today.  I like to think it was watching Kung-Fu Panda 2 with us this morning.  You know...looking for its cousin's name in the credits... [This will only make sense if you've seen the Panda, who does the Kung-Fu..."skadooosh!"]

So, I laugh and think "oh well" when I see seeds dancing across the floor, often in pairs...each the size of a spinning toonie.  We're making progress though, with what comes in, and what stays out...the neighbours' dog doesn't think the house is his anymore.  And I think he's done trying to eat us.  But it's baby steps with that shoe and broom stealin' terrier...he was furious with our grocery bags as we walked past this evening...I guess they rustle?  I get bugged when anyone's crackling an empty bottle-perhaps it's the same?!

Cheers, and Chao!

No comments:

Post a Comment