Monday, 18 March 2013

Life, classes, and phone calls

So it's really the phone calls that have helped me feel less bugged.  I had a lot to do, and I did some of them.  It's that easy for me.  Get some stuff done, feel better.

I found a cello teacher, and a violin teacher.  This likely means buying a new violin, but I don't mind that too much, as she was going to need a little quarter size anyway.  The half size we have in the shipment simply isn't here; and there's always a market for musical instruments anyway-so although there's a little cash tied up, a more-than-if-we-rented it chunk of change usually comes back anyway.  And I can live with that pretty easily, especially when I hear one of the kids proudly announcing that they've learned a piece, and "do you want to hear it?!" It's hilarious and endearing at the same time, because there's no way I haven't heard every single note from each string as the song was being practiced-and they don't seem to realize it!

Arranging Spanish tutors to help the kids keep up.  Class is into week 7 of 8.  Relief.  Now I just need to decide if today's the day I keep phoning people...

I have to see if the university will let me double up, and then I can tack on another set of initials without too much trouble.  There is only a three class difference between the MBA in negotiation and conflict management, and the leadership and influence MABC that I'm in.  Really, I'm in what I want to be in; but if I'm totally honest-I'm more than willing to take three more courses to complete and MBA and 'legitimize' my credentials in the business world.  Work is calling though, and I think it would be super to start some.  It's a little bit pesky when I have to consider working visas, etc...but hopefully the market is such that I can jump in.  The plan was to learn enough Spanish that I could function smoothly, and I'm nearing that in my own mind.  I feel less like a mom returning to work coming off another round of education, and if they could allow me to complete two degrees, that would satisfy me-I think.

The real reason I sat down to blog was that I've been meaning to...and this morning, I had a few interesting experiences.  I was going to watch the presentation of the "True Story of the Three Little Pigs" at 10, so I didn't want to waste almost an hour in transit times-so I had breakfast at a restaurant.  To set it up, it's a really rustically styled Colombian country food restaurant.  I sat near the wood fired over, because I am always chilly when I go up the mountain.  In this open air restaurant, they were roasting and heating arapas on the grate above the fire.  When it got too hot, they cranked up the grate to control the temperature.  I also saw the fire managing shovel in action, as they were using it to even out the coals.  I was sitting on the rustic bench, putting in the wifi password...and that's when it struck me how funny it was.  Wood fire, wood bench, country breakfast, great coffee, and connecting to the internet.  If it wasn't for the wifi and wardrobe, it could have been the 40s...or maybe even the 1840s.  Struck me funny.

The other experience was as I was reading my Culture Clash text for class, I was laughing about finding a subject for this week's paper--something cross-cultural...hmmmm, oh I know.  I'll call it Tuesday.  Of course I'll be more specific, but again, it struck me funny.  I'd just been through the section on how personal space differs according to culture...and because I was sitting in the van at school (got too chilly in the restaurant...) I was able to see the Prekinder class in Phys. Ed. class, on the court across from the parking.  They were running, laughing and seemed to be having fun--then all of a sudden "WAH!".  I looked up, and the gym teacher was hustling over to a little girl who was face down in the pavement crying.  The first thing he did was scoop her up from behind-like a dad would.  Then he checked out her injuries.  It was hug first, then first aid...And I thought about a North American school where touching a student is something to consider carefully-like "I see that there's likely a sprained ankle here...but....hmmm....will anyone misinterpret my actions if I touch her leg?"  The culture I'm used to is a non-contact kind of culture-to be sure.  I'm still getting used to the kiss hello.

And it was even funnier when I thought about how it was something I noticed...instantly.  I think it's nicer to get scooped up when you're little and hurt (and clearly have no neck injuries, of course).  All the other little kids rushed over calling her name to see if she was ok, or they were curious, or they were trying to help...The NA culture (and me-I know it!) is so "pick yourself up" opposite...I know that I always minimize an injury in the interest of helping the kiddo feel stronger and often, preventing a melt down, or making sure that I'm nice but not coddling!  It's interesting to think about--not better/worse, just different.  That difference is what makes living somewhere else so worthwhile.  Perspective that I just would not develop or possess, had we not taken the paths that we did, is something I value more and more.

So that's it for this early afternoon.  I still need to get elipticalling... and then, I think I'll try meditating again, and see if I can keep lowering the stress responses.  And then, when I'm all chilled out, I might call about my degree...or maybe I'll do that first, while I'm still in forward motion!

Cheers and chao!

No comments:

Post a Comment