Thursday, 10 May 2012

More on Lord of the Flies


I have had the fleeting thought that I should let the kids fend for themselves on an island, just for a short time.
[List A-Z of 'stuff' the kids have been up to lately--too long, so just assume it varies from cute to monkey business all the way past tomfoolery --up to and including outright deception]
I have dedicated the day to writing my leadership profile...so I wonder if I'll include "adventure skills" in that...this parenting adventure never really eases up.
I'm having a laugh (might be the amused one, could be the one that sounds a little fake); and I'm sure something good will come of it.
Story goes like this:
Kid wants to be able to buy from bake sale-but his mom never gives him any money, but she explains to him every time the notice comes around that it's because the ingredients in the baked goods are unknown-therefore not smart for kids who have allergies.  When there's resistance to that, the mom reminds the kid that he could end up in the hospital, in need of air!  Kid lets issue go.  BUT, kid secretly covets the power and thrill of being able to buy something at school.  Mom gets info from school that kid is loaded up and ready to buy, buy, buy at said sale of baking...Mom thinks back and distinctly recalls not giving any money to kid.  Mom will never know if kid would have purchased for self, or to be the one who could gives heaps of baking to friends and feel ever so super--because kid's teacher is sharp!  Thwart!
That's when the island thing started in my mind.
Now that I've exhausted the island fantasy (likely not the typical island fantasy) I feel more prepared to focus on the leadership profile I'm meant to be writing.  Then, perhaps I'll do the post on my "Ethical Values" lens--otherwise known as "what I care about" and where I focus in an ethical dilemma.  As usual, I come up very "balanced" in my perspective.
Ironic hey?

Cheers and Chao!

No comments:

Post a Comment