Wednesday, 9 May 2012

I will talk to myself here...

What to do with stress?  If anyone asked me, I'd of course want to help them, so I'm going to pretend I'm my friend who's asked what to do with stress...
Well friend (that's me), we all have our own ways of managing-what are you doing to manage right now?

  • I'm feeling like there's a knot in my lungs/stomach/torso-in-general, so I'm exercising, but I'm not feeling great overall...this rash makes me feel so obvious!  Yoga?
How much exercise?

  • Doesn't feel like enough-I'd like to get myself utterly exhausted, but don't think that would be too smart with the things I need to get done.  Basically, I'm trying to conserve energy, but I think that might be wrong-I might need to spend more, to create more, to get relaxed enough to focus.  I feel like my wheels are spinning.
What else is happening, other than the kids, two classes, Spanish and fitness?

  • The work project is still in limbo, which has been really wearing--but even knowing that it's wearing doesn't keep me from wondering, even though I know that's draining.  I'm feeling over-committed, and under-energized for all that's happening right now, so I think I'm just trying to push through again.  Five months of change, with no real certainty in sight is not something I can change right now, but accepting it is taking a lot of work.  The little things sneak in...like, I'd like a plant for inside, but never mind, I'm possibly just making more work for myself if we end up moving again this year.  I'm not enjoying how temporary everything feels...and my clothes are stupid->which means I'm taking out my stress in the body-image realm...that never really works well, but at least I see it now.
  • I'm trying to calm my stomach, but I think it's just making me overeat, that, or I'm so wound up that I'm just puffing-so far, the only outlet is the rash on my face...but I had a facial-that was good-but very tingly (or "sparkling"as a little guy we know described the feeling as his numbed foot regained sensation).
You know that's not really healthy, right?  What if you drank water everytime your stomach went lurchy?  You might prevent a headache, and help your body reduce that cortisol swell that happens when you're stressed...
  • Seriously, I think I need to meditate.  Work at emptying my thoughts.  Get my papers out and done.  Process ideas, move on.  Socialize and laugh a little.  Stop planning things that can't be planned.  Feel what I feel, experience it, and move along.
  • I think I'll also stop worrying about the kids...I just came from a meeting to plead for second grade placement that keeps the little sister out of the same situation that her brother is still dealing with a year later!  Maybe I'll just hug them more and try to help them less.  I might be happier if I were more "negligent" or a "slacker" mom...two philosophies borrowed from my friends who both parent from endless depths of love and concern for their childrens' futures.
  • I'll leach out a few frustrated tears and get on with it.  Physiologically speaking, it might be super smart, and sociologically--it's super-girly.
  • The other option is that I actually do start up the expat wife-mom screaming club.  It combines a good hike into the hills with letting off some scream, I mean steam.  Examples:  "I KNOW I'M NOT IN CONTROL OF THE PROJECT TIMELIMES", and "I REALIZE TRAVEL IS PART OF HIS WORK", and "I JUST WANT THE KIDS TO TREAT EACH OTHER WELL-THAT'S NOT CRAZY!" and "I KNOW SOME TIMES ARE MORE INTENSE THAN OTHERS-I JUST WANT A LITTLE BREAK!!!!" 
What if you cut yourself some slack, and focused on basics whenever you felt clench-y?

  • That might help.  I really do appreciate life, and I like studying, so I guess I'd better focus on that aspect-and now, since I've acknowledged my distractions, I might be better equipped to do just that.  Check:  am I feel less knotted?  Maybe.
  • Definitely.
  • Maybe.
Alright.  Good chat.

No comments:

Post a Comment