I was freezing, because I reset the thermostat for winter, but forgot to do Sunday. B-RRRRRrrrrr. Rather than huddle until the place warmed to habitable, I got busy baking. As per last post, Dane has been skipping the wheat and dairy, so I wanted to make something that he could dig into.
I started out thinking I'd do muffins, so I began using the Thermomix to turn my brown rice to flour...then that was kind of fun, and the machine was already dusty, so I made a quinoa-buckwheat combo as well. Hmmm buckwheat...so I went recipe hunting and found Blueberry Buckwheat Loaf in 125 Best Gluten-Free Recipes by Donna Washburn and Heather Butt...pg 69 if you really want it!
Of course, I didn't have everything, so a subbing I did go. 1 egg, not 2, store mix of fluffy flour instead of potato and tapioca starch, and the buckwheat-quinoa mix instead of plain. Didn't have enough honey, so I used about a third cup of agave syrup instead of half, because it's sweeter, but I wished I had used more...the blueberries were tart and the buckwheat was strong-or the quinoa was strong...how's a baker to know when it's all mixed in there?! Here's the optional part...you can heat your oven with the door ajar if your kitchen is crazy-cold, or you can leave the door closed...and heat just the oven.
And then, with no loaf pan, and a tiny oven I went with two pie plates to make it into two cakes.
3/4 cup brown rice flour (100grms)
1/4 cup buckwheat flour (35g)
1/4 cup potato starch
1/4 cup tapioca starch (or 65 g of mix for the 1/2 c sub I made)
1 1/2 tsp of xanthan gum
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 c buttermilk (I used rice milk and doubled the vinegar)
1 tsp cider vinegar (I used what I had...)
1/4 c vegetable oil (safflower, in this case)
2 eggs
1/2 cup liquid honey
1 cup frozen or fresh blueberries
Mix dry together in large bowl. Separately mix wet, adding honey last, then mix with dry, and fold in berries. The less mixing, the less blending in of the blue streaks.... Let stand for 30 minutes (skipped that...but would do next time because it lets everything puff in advance of baking). And here's why I split it, and baked it in two..."bake 60-70 minutes at 350F, 180C" Not going to work in my oven...so with more along the lines of muffin times, I baked until the center was springy-and even then, the top and sides were plenty brown. Next time, I'll make muffins, but only after I remember to replenish my cooking spray supply.
If you're a gluten-free eater..this is quite nice, and if you're not--you could make it for someone who is and they would be thrilled:)
Cheers, and chao
No comments:
Post a Comment