Sunday, 29 January 2012

Holiday reflection

We're winding down our time in Canada...and although I'm craving a little routine and my own bed--I could use a few more days so I'm planning to make the best of the last few.

I had plans to do lots with my photos...that's still a plan, not a completion.  I had planned to read my whole text--still possible.  I had plans to visit with as many friends and family as I could...and I'll say we've done pretty well.  Not everyone everytime, but many as often as possible is good!   We've had lots of time with Grandma and Grandpa, cousins, auntie and uncle in Saskatoon, and good times in Vancouver, and Edmonton.  I of course shopped, but that's old news-we didn't have the necessities when we left Cajamarca, so I got busy.  Could have saved a bundle by shopping in Alberta but we needed the stuff before, so that's what we did.  It was like 3 Christmases at once for us Reinsons...before, before, and at actual Christmas.  The kids did well this year.  So did Visa--turns out it was everywhere we were!  But haha- I had the balance cleared so there was no interest pain.  Like a hawk I watched the details.  

As usual, I'd love to be everywhere without having to drive there!  The kids are excellent travellers yet I have learned to not take on too many road trips each time...I guess I'll be fine once our little middle man invents that teleportation device he so wants to have!

We've had a very extended stay, and my parents have been extremely generous with their house, and freezer, and time!  I hope that we're able to do the same for them soon.  Where that visit is will be another blog entirely.

We are heading back to Lima, then to Cajamarca to collect up our goods, close down the house, and hope for better luck next time.  I've said before, when people have asked, that given how upside down the whole deal turned, getting back to Santiago is a fine recovery.  It will be great getting back to see everyone and get a house going again.  And exercise.  And school for the kids.  And school for me.

I'm hoping to get a few more visits in, and get Grandma's computer data transferred to her laptop...and tidy up the bags, tuck in a few things from Canada into them, and see if it all fits.  Three months of travel and shopping into how many bags?!!  We won't be breezing through any airports-that's for certain.

That's all that's on my blogging mind this evening, except for the actual reason I thought to make an entry.  I have found some fun cookbooks, one especially entitled The Intolerant Gourmet, by Barbara Kafka, and a few by Alton Brown who does the Food Network "Good Eats".  I like the food chemistry angle and sharply worded, witty commentary, as it's informative-which I can use to translate "regular" recipes into gluten-free whole-food kinds of recipes.

Now that's it...I've had a hot rum, which is a huge no; however, I'm hopeful that the added sugar in the body will be outweighed by the benefit of it killing whatever is bugging my throat and ear.  And it was truly medicinal, because I didn't enjoy a single sip--hot rum? Not a fave!  Jeff heads back in the painfully early morning tomorrow, so I'm on my way to see if there are any last minute details to handle.

Cheers and chao!

2 comments:

  1. Dearest Lynelle: Bon Voyage & happy trails. Hope to meet up again with you someday! Keeping in touch w/goings on has never been easier w/facebook. Muaww to you, Jeff & kiddo's. - Kim Reinson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynnel,
    Hoping you all have a safe journey back to gather your belongings in Peru and onward to Chile to settle once again into a safe environment and normal routine for all. Have been enjoying your blogs and facebook thoughts, so please stay in touch! Hope to cross paths with you all again at another family reunion down the line.....
    We must get that recipe book going!
    Stay safe!

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete