Sunday, 15 May 2011

An unplanned experience of the Clinica

Not how I envisioned my weekend...but that was it.  We spent Friday in Emergency for Jeff's cough and prolonged fever.  Then I took the kids for their allergist appointments.  Then our friend came over and took care of the kids all weekend, back and forth, between their house and ours while I stayed with Jeff in the full-fledged hospital here.

He was fevered, delirious (and NOT in the funny way), coughing, and sporting a blazing headache on top of it all.  We got to wear masks, thanks to the mysterious respiratory nature of it.  His fever kept turning itself back on, and he has so, so, so many tests.  The thing that impressed me was the speed with which everything happened.  MRI, CT, lumbar puncture, etc...and blood tests by the dozen.  

They ruled out the ugly ones that top the scariness list immediately, then started working from there.  I'll take a minute to share what it wasn't...because it was hours of testing through the night: no heart event, no brain event, no visible infection sites, no meningitis, no typhoid fever or yellow, or Dengue, or any other ____fever disease, no weird blood work results, and everything came back normal-ish.  It was obvious though, that he's fighting something off...so last night they started his on a broad, and a specific anitbiotic for Rickettsia.  Apparently, this is something that can occur in Peru-where is often works.

I'm home now, showered, and ready to get the kids to school tomorrow, assuming I sleep and don't leave the tap of anxiety tap dripping in my mind.  That sound is so annoying!

So, he's much better now, but still in their ICU.  I didn't like crossing the threshold into that hall...needing hospital care was enough--but intensive care?!!! I had to use my powers of blocking junk out, and rationalizing my way back from feeling too anxious.  In all, I'm glad it's there, especially since he needed it; yet, I prefer to have everyone healthy so as to not need it!!!  Exclamation mark quota exceeded-therefore I must go to bed now.

Oh yeah, and food wise? They had custom salads, herbal tea, and gluten free cookies at the hospital.  They also had a recliner.  I prefer my bed-which is delightfully free of safety rails, IVs and bingling vitals alarms.

Chao!

No comments:

Post a Comment