From the FB posts, it's likely obvious that we had a health crisis at our house last week, and that we're recovering from it this week. Very high on my list of things that scare the hell out of me: one of us facing mortality--and not in the abstract "someday" category. Just not a train of thought I like to board. Happily-it was only a scare, but it certainly registered.
Condensed version: Jeff returned from Peru about two weeks ago...where he had taken his sinus infection for a visit--or did he get something new? He returned with an even worse cough, and then started with fevers that just kept creeping up higher, with intermissions. So after about 6 days of that, where he only made it to work for a day and half (in the intermission of course)...we went to Emergency here a week ago. Blood tests and chest x-rays later, they weren't able to diagnosis him.
The next action was to go to Emergency at the main hospital, which he did, by cab, because I had all three kids scheduled for an allergy consult with the pediatric allergy specialist. I was then going to go back down, and pick Jeff up...but that's not at all how it went. We had arranged for a lady from Jeff's work to be with him there, in emerg, to help him with the Spanish. After a few phone calls back and forth, it was clear that they wanted to admit him.
Our friend came over to watch the kids, while I went down to stay the night, and in my mind, bring him back home in the morning, after a night's observation. They had said the tests would be more rapid if he stayed overnight, so we agreed. In the meantime, his body changed the game, his fever spiked, he was delirious, unsure of where he was, and had passed out, all with a raging headache (which we later best-guessed to be wicked pressure in his head). When he came to, he was full of IVs and headed for CCU. Even just seeing the name on the unit was scary.
I only know the experience from my point of view - other than being empathetic, of course it was worse for him--but I did a lot of deep breathing and convincing myself to not panic. I thought a lot of things on purpose-to keep the scary reflexive thoughts at bay. I must say, when they were settling him into the room, and they booted me out-it was even worse. So that night was occupied with an MRI, lumbar puncture, contrast CT scan, blood tests, and constant monitoring. His fever kept rising, the convulsions continued, and he passed out a few more times. All the while, there was a growing list of things it wasn't...so he wasn't having a heart attack, stroke, brain event of some other kind, pneumonia, tumors, malaria, and the list of fatal possibilities was getting shorter. The main effort on my part was not remembering other people's horror stories that started with "but he was so young and healthy....".
Anyway, no wishes to dwell on that...6 days later--he's on the mend. He's home. And, we're having our delayed hockey party tomorrow. He'll likely be benched for the street hockey game, but he can be a hockey dad on the side. We're having street hockey, "rink" food, Canada Dry and cranberry juice, NHL slapshot, and if anyone wants to hang out inside, I have a pond hockey documentary. If I had a box of Timbits, and a double double--it would be just like old times! I think I'll get Dane to do a rink playlist...We will rock you, etc...
Chao!
Yaowza! And we learn that adventure can be positive or negative. Glad he's on the mend!
ReplyDelete