I picked it up at Costco, along with the organic chickens, and the next sizes of nearly everything that my two youngest kiddos wear, because they're operating on a "let's get as tall as dad" schedule?!! I made it through most of the summer thanks to shorts and bathing suits...so many underoos, socks and three pairs of pants later - oh, and a Sociology book that Middle Man found interesting - and a pile of food, I was ready to head to the tills. It's a good thing I took the kids, because I needed them to help manage the cart and stock!
But the book - the 'book of books' for understanding AutoImmune experiences. Written by the PaleoMom, a writer I've been appreciating more and more as I read her blogs, who has pulled together a fantastic explanation set. I've written previously about The Wahl Protocol by Dr. Terry Wahl and how illuminating it was for me to learn about the role mitochondria play in energy pathways at the cellular level. For those who've not read my past posts, she's the doc who researched and experimented herself into relative remission from MS with diet, medication, and went from wheelchair-and-declining into running...and running and running. (Yeah, I've not hit that level of desire to run-but others have and did and love it - so I'm happy for them all!)
While I found the book fascinating, it wasn't as easily accessible by those without Biology degrees in their back pockets - this book is, and the explanations are brilliantly broad, yet specific enough that they can bring anyone, anyone, who can read up to speed on the happenings of the body. Did I already note that I loved it?! I want to be sure I'm clear...She includes an alphabetical listing of autoimmunity health issues from Acute brachial neuropathy and arthritis to Willis-Ehbom (aka restless leg syndrome). For this indexing alone, the book is gold. I've come to learn that many people don't understand that what they're dealing with is an autoimmune issue, or that what they have gone through has autoimmunity aspects to it... In my immediate family, this includes um...everyone and every kid I've ever had! Yup, this is a personal issue for me, especially as I discover more about and better understand what I have been through and am going through - I'd love to spare the kids (and anyone else who reads it) by sharing what I know. What about extended family? Lots there too-shareshareshare!!!
She is thepaleomom.com and I appreciate the research she's put in, as well as the experiences she is willing to share with others. I like to note that it is the willingness to share the experience that helps make for a great book; knowing that others have been on similar paths helps to break down that sense that we sometimes have--that it's weird and/or mysterious, these things we have going on... Isolation is one of the toughest things to deal with, whether it's physical, emotional, mental and real or supposed. Health issues can be isolating. That's a packed sentence I just threw out there... if you've had the issues, you know, if you haven't, it's a good thing to understand.
The last thing I'll add today - because I have more reading to do - is that feeling bad feels bad and creeps into everything we do. Feeling better feels better, and that's what I hope for anyone who reads this and reaches for the book.
No comments:
Post a Comment