I am blogging this right now, still feeling the gentle sting of peppercorns....
Peppered beef with Acai juice reduction and Puerros
That's right--I had to put on fancy pants at the lake! (But it's the lake...so, uh...sweats to warm up in after the beach)
Sirloin
Shallots
Coconut oil
Acai berry juice
Salt
Pepper
I slivered some shallots to fry into blackness in the pan-it's something we had in Colombia, and I liked it...so do that in a preheated, hot cast iron skillet, with coconut oil. I had them going first, because I wasn't sure how long they would take, or if they would work. It works quickly--blackening in no time, though I did try to get them at maximum brown, rather than actual black...
Using the nicest steak you want to buy (I used a sirloin), grind pepper over one side, along with a little salt. Put steak into pan, seasoned side down, and let it go for a few minutes. Season the other side in the pan, and flip. The idea is to sear the sides, and I was going to continue that way, but partway through, I decided to take it out and slice it thinly, so that I could have more of the slightly charred parts, without it drying out.
Here's where the pants got fancy, and why. I noticed the pan was getting too crusty on the bottom, but with all the allergy festivals happening with us, deglazing with wine was not an option...so I used acai berry juice. Each time the pan needed more liquid as the slices cooked, I added a bit more, stirred a bit more to get all the bits up off the bottom-then when it looked like a thick-yet-still-running sauce, I took it off-- and then, the kids said it was the best sauce ever.
I had mine with the puerros, and that was even better!
There, now you can make it too.
And also, I made maple pepper trout, baked in the oven, because that's what I do when the week's worth of meat is in the fridge instead of the freezer. A solid reminder to ask the kids what they did with the meat once they've socked away the groceries.
Cheers and chao.
No comments:
Post a Comment