You know by now...it's more like a way of making something than an actual recipe!
I've read somewhere that spices do more if they're lightly heated with oil before the rest of the dish gets cooking...so with that, I began to make dinner, at 9:45 am, because we have a busy afterschool today:
3 tbsp olive oil, heated with about 1 tsp turmeric, 1/8 tsp steak spice, 1 tsp ginger, and a sprinkling of dill to keep it fresh tasting, and have green flecks that I like
1 lb ground bison, stirred and browned. This time, I didn't break it down completely... Stir in about 3tsp of apple cider vinegar to get those fermenting goodies into the belly!
Once that was all browned nicely, with a crispy bottom layer on the pan, I added about 4-5 cups shredded coleslaw mix (green and purple cabbage with some carrot, if you don't happen to buy the same giant bags that I do!) When I make this again, I'll use a dutch oven instead of the frying pan, but it was one of those create as I go things...
Stir in 1 tbsp of beef bouillon, 1 tsp garlic powder, and about 1.5 cups of water, then keep stirring everything together gently, with the idea of getting all those crisped bits off the bottom and into the sauce.
Once that was all together, simmer for about 20 mins, and stir in 1 cup of plain, cultured coconut (coconut yogurt, not coconut flavoured yogurt...if you're using yogurt, I'll suggest Greek).
That was it... superfast--it's nice and saucy, with a little heat from the ginger mellowed by the coconut yogurt. I'd like it with rice, egg noodle, or done like shepherd's pie, baked with a mashed potato topper. I love how much cabbage fits into this one. Each kiddo likes coleslaw, but a couple love it less when it's cooked, which is why I put so many strong flavours in my attempt to subdue the taste and texture of it all...
Cheers and chao!
No comments:
Post a Comment