My friend and her dog and I picked up the pace today, even though she was feeling stuffy with a cold- the dog was boundlessly energetic and inspired a more brisk pace than usual. I have misplaced one of my favourite layers...so I walked on without the outer protection that helps keep me from this: Medical Website explanation of what I call the "crazy-itch" I get when I exercise. There are no pictures of me, when my skin freaks out like this; but what happens is I'll get "mast cell degranulation" for whatever the reason, be it cold, friction of clothes, wind, or sun on my skin when I'm exercising-and that looks like splotchy, swollen, hot itching spots.
In any case, I need to dress for the weather, and today I didn't do a perfect job of it--though it didn't really bother me too badly, because we were deep in discussion anyway. The alpaca hat I bought the other day was perfect - so at least there's one thing that keeps me warm and doesn't make me all twitchy... A few weeks ago, I bought a few new pieces of technical/yoga gear, to make sure that whatever I was wearing was friction-reducing, simultaneously restricting/non-restricting in all the right spots, and that I could be covered head to toe in all things breathable---all so that I could go for a walk and not get the crazy-itch.
Interestingly when I swim, I must do the same (it's all very Goldilocks?!). The water can't be too warm, or I'll get too warm and the itching starts, but it can't be too cold either, or the itching starts--essentially, it must be "just right". I can't go too fast, or the friction on my legs it too much --> itch. I don't want to go too slowly, or the workout isn't as good as it could be, so I end up doing a strange little interval set, immediately slowing if I even think of itching, so that I can carry on...
Reason for posting: I felt more capable today. I liked it. I had to have a little nap later on, but I still count it as progress. It's all quite funny if I think of the irony of needing to exercise so that I can get healthier and have fewer reactions when I exercise?!
Cheers and chao.
No comments:
Post a Comment