Friday, 10 April 2015

As indicated earlier, this is the post that's more about coffee

I have successfully gone caffeine-free.  Again.

This time though, I've either prevented or just missed the headaches. I decided to go gently and switch to half-caf, making my coffee shop order just that much more intense, or is that less intense? The idea was to be kind to the skull that feels like cracking when I've had to miss a morning coffee.

I've nothing against coffee, in fact, I'm very pro-coffee.  I've read loads of studies and for women, a cup or two each day has shown health benefits, including lower rates of depression and increased cognitive function.  Sadly, I have no studies to link to, so I'll just have to share this as something I believe... (wait, nope, I found them--previous post on coffee here)

So why deprive myself?

I'm trying to remove a substance that could, in the future, mask what's really happening with my energy levels.  I am in no way, shape, or form, planning to let my thyroid issues run amok again. Ever.  Same plan for anemia issues.  Same plan for B12 absorption issues. With all of these metabolic things having happened, my eyes are wide open (even without coffee) and I see that it could easily happen again.

Now that I'm reassured that I don't have anything sinister lurking, waiting... I'm feeling more able by the week to pursue feeling better, which necessarily includes shedding the many pounds that have deposited since the violent vomiting ceased.  While this sounds very focused on outward appearance, it truly isn't, though I'm not content with my reflection at the moment--so I have 'attitude work' to do there.  Part of managing my attitude is focusing on what I have, so I went through this thought exercise.  If my only options were poor health and a lean frame, or good health and a heavier body, I'd certainly choose good health--so that's what I'm focusing on; happily, those aren't my only options though... Now that I'm moving toward feeling healthier, I know that I'll be able to feel strong again, and that's my starting place.

Am I weary over having to reestablish some basic, good health? Honestly, yes.  With a great, big "oh well", I'm focusing on the fact that I can--and trying my level best to look forward to the gains I'll make in energy and what I can do in a day, how strong I can feel, and all of those good things. Rather than sighing and complaining (much) about having to climb the same hill again, I'm taking a moment to recognize my disappointment that I've ended up in this shape again; and having done that, to get on with gratitude for having the energy to climb again.

Cheer and chao.

No comments:

Post a Comment